Remapped the W211 today..

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Donza, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Donza

Donza Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Hi,

I got the car remapped today by Angel Tuning for £315

All i can say is its very very fast now. Would go so far as to say its a completely different car.

I achieved a 45BHP gain and another 60lb of Torque. MPG seems up slightly also. I was informed that the remap helped with longer gearing therefore helping with the MPG

Thats a total of 250 BHP and 430 lbs of torque..

Best part of £300 i spent all year!

Excellent people who are very friendly. Moreover, the guy who was doing mine was an ex-mercedes technician.

2. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Sounds good. Did you dyno before and after then?

3. JasM

JasM Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2014 Range Rover SDV8 Autobiography
    I thought the standard power of the E320 CDI was 224 BHP?

4. OP
    OP
    Donza

Mines 204BHP. If its 224 BHP i will be surprised..:p

5. JasM

Car:
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  6. aka$h

aka$h Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Anything with a 3 Pointed Star!
  7. JasM

Car:
    My mistake. Thanks for the correction.

8. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  9. maddog

maddog Hardcore MB Enthusiast

So was it dyno'ed then??

I have just removed the Van Aaken tuning box from my car , its meant to push the power to 240hp or so with a decent increase in torque and when i actually fitted it to my car about 5 years ago the car had done about 26,000miles, i saw an improvement in mpg of 1mpg on my average use , thats based on about 1000 miles and its seemed to be pretty stable over the years

I did add some hp of thats there is no doubt the car pulled much harder to 60 and it shaved a good amount of the 0-60 time but i've never dyno'ed the car, being an auto its not easy

Over the years i've doubted it a bit especially since buying another new diesel and seeing the mpg improve as the engine bedded in , it took a good 25,000miles for my wifes Skoda to settle down so a few weeks back i removed the tuning box and have been running the car without it

I've only done about 300 miles so far so its hard to tell but first impressions seem to suggest a dramatic reduction in fuel on short trips , where i was seeing 28-29mpg i am now seeing 33-34mpg , not been on a decent trip yet so will be interesting so see what motorway use gives , i'm used to 38-40mpg

So whilst i have always been one to champion tuning diesels my claims of better fuel economy may well have been the engine simply bedding in....time will tell

10. smillion

smillion Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS350 CDI sport
    I am interested in doing this but have always been concerned about the insurance company's reaction. I seem to hjave enough explaining each year having non standard alloys.

Have you told the insurance company Donza and if so what is the effect on premium?

Thanks

Marc

11. maddog

maddog Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Mine arent bothered but it probably adds a few £££'s to my premuim perhaps £20 a year , i pay around £240 per year FC on my w210 E320

I added over 100hp to my Skyline and it cost me about a 10% loading

12. OP
    OP
    Donza

Hi, sorry but i fell asleep lastnight!

No i did not have the car dyno'ed. Reason being i was worried about it being an automatic and i have heard that sometimes it can knack the gearbox.

Moreover, the guy came out to my house and did it all himself. Took him at least two hours and he seemed concerned about not compromising for any extra BHP which made me happy.

I did inquire about the insurance, and they did not have a clue what the remap business was about. If i'm being honest i went down all the channels and was told i was ok.

What they did ask though what was the increase in BHP going to be, and they said my insurance was fine.

I noticed this morning the car sounds better also since the delivery is much smoother. MPG was up by 5MPG on a 40 mile run down the M6.

13. Satch

Satch Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
    Notice this on their website:

Group Discount / Bulk Buy 01/10/2007
    Group Purchase / Mapping Meet Discounts

"Angel Tuning can offer their remapping at a discount either for a group of owners at a location of their choice on a certain day or alternatively, if you wish to take advantage of a "Group Purchase" we can do a group of owners at any of our locations as expected but we can also do it mobile to their home or workplace for a small additional outlay to the individual.

The former works as you would expect, you book in a certain amount of cars and our technicians will come to the location on the day and do the cars. This is often how it is done for car clubs, as they want to meet up, have a chat etc. This can also be held at one of our centres if required in Plymouth, Leeds, Basingstoke, Tunbridge Wells, Basildon, Cardiff or Troon (Scotland).

The latter works in a similar way, a bulk purchase of tuning is bought from us with a deposit for each car. A letter of discount authorisation is then sent to the individual and they can then either book the car into a centre local to them, or have one of our technicians come out.

Quite simply, say 10 people signed up for the group purchase. Each would pay (via cheque/credit card) a £50 deposit and they would then receive a letter that will enable them to get the work done at the price agreed for that car with the group, less the deposit which they then take to the centre or give to the mobile guy and upon completion to their satisfaction of the work, the remainder is paid to the centre / technician. The people that want the mobile technicians pay a little extra (£20) for the service. "

Worth considering perhaps?

14. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Why risk invalidating our warranties and any goodwill repairs? The 320CDI is an extremely powerful diesel engine and getting more power using less fuel is something I don't understand

John

15. Satch

Satch Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
    What is this "Goodwill" of which you speak? Pretty much on our own now unless it is a known issue or historic recall item. Even tried to weasel out of a binding 3 year Service Plus contract with 13 months to run until I threatened to sue.

I agree not something for those still in warranty but otherwise a personal choice.

16. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Hi Satch,
    We regularly read about goodwill repairs be they turbo related, transmission related or thre usual bodywork which would have nothing to do with the price of chips :) I think Mercedes-Benz are very good regarding goodwill

read the BMW saga regarding wheels

17. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Quote "I did inquire about the insurance, and they did not have a clue what the remap business was about. If i'm being honest i went down all the channels and was told i was ok"

Are YOU sure that's correct?

SO imagine you have an accident and hit another car and god forbid your taken away in the ambulance. Your car also gets taken away and checked. They then find this modiffication. Insurance void.

When I've had a power box fitted my insurance only went up £50 and for my piece of mind that has to be cheap, I very much doubt the insurance company did not know what a remap was.

Sorry but I tell them everything, my side bars on the ML, back box, etc etc. If they can get out of a claim THEY will.

Glad your enjoying the car but I would urge you to get it insured correctly.

18. KLP 92

KLP 92 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S600, SL600, C250TD
    Enjoy the extra power, but beware if the car has over 60k on the clock regular use of the power round town will shred the gearbox internals and cause injectors to prematurely leak.

I've chipped every CDI i've had, all of them have ended up with new gearboxes and at least 2 new injectors.

I currently have a W211 320, the only remap/chip will be an eco chip. I'm so confident in the ability of a normal chip, i'd go as far as placing a bet that i can cause the gearbox to go into limp mode within 5 minutes of chipping 5cyl/6cyl CDI.

19. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    All true Nav.

But its the way you drive 'em!

20. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    If you don't use the power then I suppose we must ask why do it.

I would be amazed if an insurance company said 'Don't matter' and if it is not in writing..... You never asked. That would definitely be their attitude if anything seriously went wrong