Remapping options for E63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doughboy

Car
2014 E63 AMG Estate
Hi All,

My E63 isn't here yet, but I'm looking for remap options already.

I'm from BMW land, so I'm struggling to scour all the Merc forums for info.

Mine's the M157 Bi turbo, I can't find any OBD/in car remaps, only ECU out jobs.

Eurocharged only do an ECU-out upgrade (ship to US)

Who's a respectable tuner in the UK for Mercs?

BTW - what model ref is mine? (2013 facelift E class estate) W211 or W212? Haven't figured that out yet!

Last edited:
Are you sure you are going to need a remap?

My advice would be to try it first, I think it is more than powerful, but then I am not skilled enough to exploit the power I have, you may be different.

Cheers

Gerry

LOL - who can exploit 500+bhp on the road? Not me for sure.

I'm just a bit nuts like that I suppose, why have 550 when you can have 650?

I saved 7grand not getting the AMG S model so I'm happy to spend 1K on a quaife LSD and 1K or so on a remap and get way more power than the s model.

And I can sell on the quaife unit afterwards. (I had a quaife unit in my old 335i and its WAY better than a locking clutch type diff that merc want 2.5K for)

Last edited:
I don't think anyone can tune the M157 birturbo's yet without an ECU out job in addition you have to drill a small hole in the ECU and then ensure all debris is removed. Once that part has been done micro probes have to be put through the hole to connect to the chip and download the data, the same process is used to upload the amended file and the hole is filled with epoxy to ensure the internals are protected. You cannot open the ECU at any stage otherwise its game over new ECU.

I would make sure you go with someone that has done many of these before, I watched the guys from Eurocharged do one on a CL and the process was at least 2 hours to complete and that was just to access download and finish this was not including the tuning time. You could even tell they were a little nervous as this was the first one they had done outside of there shop where they have a almost lab clean workstation with which to work.

The gains are simply staggering it put the biggest power of any AMG on the day and that was just there stage 1 map.

I don't think anyone can tune the M157 birturbo's yet without an ECU out job in addition you have to drill a small hole in the ECU and then ensure all debris is removed. Once that part has been done micro probes have to be put through the hole to connect to the chip and download the data, the same process is used to upload the amended file and the hole is filled with epoxy to ensure the internals are protected. You cannot open the ECU at any stage otherwise its game over new ECU.

I don't think this is the case.

I had a long chat with Rob at DMS and mentioned everything you have just written, explaining the lengths Jerry had to go through to remap that CL63.

He chuckled to himself while I recalled the events.

I asked what was so amusing. He led me into his office (ooer) and showed me one of these exact ECU's that he was working on.

He explained that it is possible to take the ECU apart and that none of the internals were "light sensitive" as Jerry said.

He showed me the connector that he soldered onto to map it (I had a close look).

He explained that you can either drill (which is the quick, not-so advised way), or spend a few hours taking the ECU apart properly, so not to leave metal filings knocking around in the ECU that could potentially short out the ECU.

It was very good of Rob to show me all this stuff and explain it. It was very interesting.

Last edited:
That not actually what I said at all I did not mention anything about being light sensitive in my post, what I said was that you should not open an ECU and I have had that from several tuners. If DMS have found a way great for them.

Last edited:
Personally I prefer the plated diff type to the Quaife. I had a Quaife in my Cayman S and had a plated AMG one in the C63 and have a plated one in my GT3.
The biggest benefit of the plated one is the huge amount of stability you get during braking. A Quaife doesn't lock at all under braking. It also doesn't lock up if a wheel leaves the ground.
Having nothing at all in the new E63 was a mistake, but I baulked at the uplift Merc wanted to charge for the E63 diff over the C63 diff. Big mistake on my part.

Thanks for the tips. I know DMS from bmw days. Will give Rob a tinkle.

I found the E46 m3 plated diff too all or nothing.

ATB's don't lock with a wheel off the ground yes, maybe an issue in a flying gt3, but not hooking up a 2 tonne e63..

Agree 2.5k Is way too much for merc diff, with no residual increase you pay for it outright on the lease.

The Quaife is only £900 online without discount, plus fitting.

And you can sell it on used after.

Last edited:
That not actually what I said at all I did not mention anything about being light sensitive in my post, what I said was that you should not open an ECU and I have had that from several tuners. If DMS have found a way great for them.

Hey Paul,
I didn't mean that I discussed your post with Rob :rolleyes:
I meant that when I saw him, I chatted to him about the events at the MSL tuning day with the CL63 mapping scenario.

Pretty sure that light sensitivity was mentioned.

Also, I can't see how drilling into an ECU plate is better than carefully opening it :dk:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to say that we have a guy that has drilled these ecus before for us so if you did need a Eurocharged map, we won't need to send all the way to the states. Although as stated expect to lose your car/ECU for 24hrs..

Op did you see this post on the forum........

Mercedes-Benz will allegedly drop the twin-turbo V8 5.5-liter after the current-gen S63 AMG.

The M157 is a Euro 6-compliant twin-turbo V8 5.5-liter gasoline engine outputting 585 bhp (436 kW) and 900 Nm (664 lb-ft) in the 2014 S63 AMG. According to AMG chief Tobias Moers, the mill cannot receive a power hike without a negative impact on its reliability.

He refused to mention if other S-Class models will receive this engine but it is believed the AMG versions of the forthcoming coupe and convertible will also get it, along with updated versions of cars which already have this engine, like the CLS 63 AMG and E63 AMG.

Chances are we won't see it in the next-gen E-Class (due in 2016) or other brand new models outside the S-Class family. The all-new C-Class will get an AMG version powered by what is believed to be a V8 4.0-liter developed by bonding two 4-cylinder 2.0-liter turbocharged engines from the A45 AMG. The same power unit is expected to reside under the hood of the 911 competitor known internally as the C190 which will probably receive the SLC moniker.

Thanks for that the_don, but i'm not sure what the point was though?

Either that the M157 is being dropped or that they won't be pushing it past 585bhp?

Phil@Rebellion said:
Just to say that we have a guy that has drilled these ecus before for us so if you did need a Eurocharged map, we won't need to send all the way to the states. Although as stated expect to lose your car/ECU for 24hrs..

Thanks phil, sounds good....

doughboy said:
Thanks for that, i'm not sure what the point was though?

Either that the M157 is being dropped or that they won't be pushing it past 585bhp?

Both, plus maybe not safe/reliable once pushed beyond that figure.

Looks like they are looking to move to one engine for all AMG models see below.

As you might already know, AMG is currently developing a four-liter twin-turbocharged V8, dubbed internally as the M177, which will essentially be two conjoined M133 two-liter four-bangers from the A, CLA and upcoming GLA 45 AMG.

With power outputs between 480 hp and over 600+ hp, the new engine is set to receive a sufficient amount of versions to pretty much cover the entire upcoming AMG range, from the C-Class to the SLC /GT sports coupe (project C190).

In the future, the most powerful versions of the M177 will also find its way into the S-Class range, replacing the current 585 hp M157.

acej said:
Looks like they are looking to move to one engine for all AMG models see below.

As you might already know, AMG is currently developing a four-liter twin-turbocharged V8, dubbed internally as the M177, which will essentially be two conjoined M133 two-liter four-bangers from the A, CLA and upcoming GLA 45 AMG.

With power outputs between 480 hp and over 600+ hp, the new engine is set to receive a sufficient amount of versions to pretty much cover the entire upcoming AMG range, from the C-Class to the SLC /GT sports coupe (project C190).

In the future, the most powerful versions of the M177 will also find its way into the S-Class range, replacing the current 585 hp M157.

More downsizing with turbos, not good.

Having nothing at all in the new E63 was a mistake, but I baulked at the uplift Merc wanted to charge for the E63 diff over the C63 diff. Big mistake on my part.

Hey Jack, I just spotted you have an new E63 Estate....

When did you order / receive yours? You must have been an early bird?

Any chance of a few pics / spec on yours?

Quaife diff is only £900 to buy, a bargain IMO and it should still be worth half that used. If you want to wait till January, we can do a group buy for 2 diffs ;)

Birds BMW In uxbridge, who fitted my 335i quaife, (official BMW & MB Quaife dealers) want over £600 to fit it though, that seems outrageous, their labour is £75/hour, so that's 8 hours to fit a diff? Is it really that big a job?

Who knows a good indy merc mechanic?

Last edited:
doughboy where sells the diffs ?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom