Remapping the E63 at MSL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
I finally got the E63 to MSL today for a Stage 1 remap, dyno and resonator removal at Torqueflow.

Arrived a little early at 8 15am in Birmingham after a longish run up from Poole, Dorset. Quite pleased with the mpg seeing I wasn't hanging around and had a clear run without traffic.

20191116_083557.jpg

Acid was there and put the car straight on the dyno to get an idea of the stock figure and condition of the engine. It was serviced in Sept and apparently needs a drop of oil soon. I'll keep an eye on the level as I hear some of these M157 Biturbo engines do use some oil between services.
An MSL photo of the car on the dyno, unfortunately covered in road grime after the run up in the rain. It was spotless when I left![
75362337_2753367398035377_4231357245503307776_n.jpg

After the first run, it was shown the engine is making over the claimed figure of 557bhp as it came up at 490bhp at the wheels which equates to 572 bhp at the flywheel, the figure most use when realting the cars bhp. Torque too was strong at 503 ft lbs which again is 593ft ft lbs at the flywheel.
After cooling down, the map was put on and the first run gave a strong figure of 565bhp at the wheels, or 666bhp at the flywheel. The torque increased to 657 ft lbs which is 775 ft lbs at the flywheel.
Acid explained he would prefer to leave the map running this amount of bhp to conserve the longevity of the engine. If I wanted 700bhp, he would give it, but I thought 666bhp is more than adequate. I'm not chasing huge figures or tracking the car, just giving back some of the power held back by Mercedes. The speed limiter was also lifted should I fancy a fast run on an autobahn.

A photo of the Power runs on the dyno. Multiply all the figures by 1.18 to cancel the powertrain loss and the figure the engine is producing. The figure in Red is the pre map figure, the blue one mapped.
20191116_103922.jpg

The car was handed over to Imran who was removing the resonator to increase that nice V8 sound, especially the cold start. All finished by 1 30pm with break for a chicken dinner (thanks Acid)
Here is the man at work.

20191116_123116.jpg

Was it worth it? Damn right it was. Its a lot quicker off the line and the power from 50mph + is incredible. Its a real licence loser if you aren't careful.
As for the exhaust, love it. But my next door neighbour is going to hate me. I'd say its 50% louder, and you can't help grinning at the downshifts when braking in Sport +

It does need a slip diff to put the power down, and despite having 19" rims, the gap in the arch is too big, so it needs H&R lowering springs and rear links. Then its finished. I won't be doing anything else but enjoy driving it.

I love a V8 growl, yes I miss the noise my CLS55 made.
I just hope that modified exhaust doesn't land you in trouble come MoT time, or if Plod are feeling bored
8. Nuisance - MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - Guidance - GOV.UK
Noise from roads, trains or planes
New ‘noise cameras’ could fine drivers for having loud car exhausts

I hope not too. I have a friendly MOT tester and remembered to ask for the resonator so I can return it to stock should the need arise.

Did your E55 not burn much oil Roger?

Mine got through it at the same rate as petrol sometimes it seemed... :D

^ Only topped the 55 up a couple of times between services in 6 years John. That was very good with oil.

Going to do a cold start video tomorrow now its been doctored:devil:
Just to compare it to the first one I did with stock exhaust.

^ I'd like to get a Go Pro on the rear somewhere and do a proper video similar to the ones the guys in the US seem to do regularly.
A cold start will have to do tomorrow;)

Did your E55 not burn much oil Roger?

Mine got through it at the same rate as petrol sometimes it seemed... :D

^ Only topped the 55 up a couple of times between services in 6 years John. That was very good with oil.

My CLS55 always called for oil after a prolonged high speed cruise, usually only needed 1/2ltr

Definitely a beast! The gains on forced induction are quite incredible. Good call to keep it at 666 rather than push it to 700bhp, no point stressing a car that is already fast enough! Enjoy it mate

The M157 uses oil, there are mixed responses when owners are asked about usage, but as MB state around a litre per 1000 miles is possible, then it’s likely many consume at around this rate. I record my usage so know what the Mileage is between top ups.

666 is a good figure. With the resonator delete being done after and a few miles on the road, it’s likely to be more like 685bhp now. A lot has been learned with the mapping of these cars over the years and the map
You have will be spot on. The early maps (and still some maps by other tuners), had way too much boost dialled in low down the Rev range, it gives massive torque low down and results in higher peak BHP (great for pub figures), however it generates a lot of heat, makes the standard turbos work hard and makes the car underivable. A number of cars in the US had issues with engine internals, inc pistons and bent rods etc. I run high “peak” torque and BHP on hybrid turbos but with controlled and progressive curves, below 3k rpm mine actually makes less than remapped only cars.

MSL are superb and it’s a great experience. Enjoy your car as it’ll now be the perfect companion

Jules

I’m there either later next week or the week after. Major service and discs and pads all around.

Holy crap Rog, you’re not hanging about with this thing. It’s one hell of a fast mofo now.

Enjoy !

Going to do a cold start video tomorrow now its been doctored:devil:

Do it nice and early and get someone to film your next door neighbours curtains twitching. I'd love to see that! :D :D

Sounds like it has been well worth the visit to MSL, Roger. Enjoy. :thumb: :thumb:

Chop chop, we’re waiting!!

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess who moved the car this morning ready for a washing and forgot to film the cold start?:doh:
This will have to do. A normal start without the turbos being by- passed and an idea of when you are "on it":eek:
Apologies for the amateur quality. If there is no sound and you use Chrome, try a different browser. It works in Edge OK for me but not Chrome.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Works fine for me in Chrome. It's just a YT video in any case.

That's more like it - sounds much more meaty!

You’re a nuisance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom