Remapping the M157?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I love that 155mph or 186mph (P30 pack) isn't fast enough 😂 to continue the off topic, does anyone actually know how fast a 5.5 E63 goes? 186mph is still limited, right?
If the 55K can crack 200, an E63 certainly should be able to as well.
I've not had the pleasure of finding out what my top speed is yet. There is always the V Max event.

Hi Rich,

The chaps at MSL told me that once it's been mapped & de-restricted it would pull pass the PP 186mph & keep pulling until it "revs out"....not sure I want to test this, all I know is that i've had mine @ 160mph+ (on a private runway I have to add) & it was showing no signs of running out of puff..
Interesting. Pretty sure a mapped car will do >200mph, but never seen anything about vmax on a standard 5.5... Guess it must be close to 200mph as @AMGeed also reasoned!

Never seen an M157 getting to 200. @ACID had probably the quickest Mercedes knocking around with that supercharged Black Series, which I think was even quicker that the M177 in the E63s he ran afterwards (another one of my old cars :))

I took my W212 with the M157 up to 186 mph at Terminal Velocity a few years ago but it was windy, the front was lifting and I basically bottled it after that. It did have more to go (highly modified with 850+bhp) but needed a braver driver and the suspension modifying/lowering. Terminal Velocity used to be a good venue for testing cars out but the original site was closed due to a few idiots misbehaving. VMax was another good event but again, marred by a few idiots who don't understand how to conduct themselves in public. TV still happens but the surface of the current venue (near Norwich) is very compromised. The last time I was there a well known competitor in one of the ES Motors 911's refused to run as he said it was too dangerous with a 1000 bhp car.

The above are really the reasons why we mapped our cars. Not strictly necessary for everyday driving but, if blasting down a runway flat out, every little bit helps. :)

If you are going to remap then M157 then just ensure you use a company such as MSL who offer the more recent capped maps. Earlier M157’s didn’t have as effective cooling as the post 2013 cars, so with over 700bhp / 900lb/ft there is a risk of longer term engine issues, even on a post 2013 car I wouldn’t risk it. Also the early maps would dial in pretty much peak torque at 2500-3000rpm which made the car undriveable from a standstill, slow speed acceleration and / or in wet weather. This also generates a lot of heat, which isn’t good longer term. The revised maps were a vast improvement. Slightly lower peak power and torque numbers, but more progressive delivery through the Rev range, making the car much more drivable. This in turn increases traction and reduces the heat risk. It actually makes for a much faster car than the previous generation of maps and far more enjoyable on the road.

Hope this helps.

Reputable but somewhat expensive from a value / gain point of view (quoted slightly shy of a grand for a dyno + remap etc.).
Yeah I think that's probably a little more than MSL...

Is Stage 1 map risk to items such as lambda’s, plugs/coils or injectors?

Is there consensus on the advice for how often...?
I couldn't say Rich.
I've heard it said before, and read it on the US forum.
The recommended interval is 4 yearly so every 2 years wouldn't be a bad guess.

I couldn't say Rich.
I've heard it said before, and read it on the US forum.
The recommended interval is 4 yearly so every 2 years wouldn't be a bad guess.
Cheers. I was thinking about this last week as I updated my spreadsheet post annual service! Front pads and discs are likely to need replacing next year, so I might leave the plugs another year! (That would be 3 years).

Cheers. I was thinking about this last week as I updated my spreadsheet post annual service! Front pads and discs are likely to need replacing next year, so I might leave the plugs another year! (That would be 3 years).
Did my front and rear pads last year but the discs were marginal so left them. At around £700+ just for the fronts its not a cheap job.
Could always remove a plug and check the electrode for burnout /wear compared to a new one. I think the performance would drop off if they were really bad.

Surely plug change is mileage dependant rather than how many years.

I need to change mine actually (none mapped) and probably gonna DIY it when I find the time. Only key part is correct torque for indexing as far as I know.

Surely plug change is mileage dependant rather than how many years.

I need to change mine actually (none mapped) and probably gonna DIY it when I find the time. Only key part is correct torque for indexing as far as I know.
It’s to reduce the risk of them becoming seized.

It’s to reduce the risk of them becoming seized.
A realise it's a part of preventative maintenance but If the only reason was so they don't seize why change more frequently with a map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom