Remote Control central locking

Kinky

MB Enthusiast
Car
All sorts of odds n sods
My newly acquired 93' E280 estate currently has manual central locking (along with the window/sunroof auto-closure).

I am looking to have installed a remote central locking system and alarm. However, the remote keyfob I would like to use is the current MB standard one - with the flip-out key.

Can I therefore assume that all I can do is have a standard MB remote/alarm system installed and by a main dealer (and therefore at their prices) or is there another way?

Many thanks in advance,

K
Carpe Vehiculum

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
I wouldnt bother with the dealer.

Go to a premium ICE shop and get them to install a clifford alarm , they are great and not too expencive either and im sure will be on a par with the dealer price.:D

OP
OP
Kinky

Kinky

MB Enthusiast
Car
All sorts of odds n sods
yeah - typically I would agree - however - what I'm ideally after is the key and remote fob as 1 unit in one form or other.

K
Carpe Vehiculum

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
I wouldnt bother to be honnest.

The one with the two lights below the mirror is a nightmare and to have that retrofitted would be madness as its crap.

The newer one without the ignition barrell would be a fortune to fit in too , again , madness.

A clifford alarm is designed to be retrofitted. If you go to a dealer and ask about an alarm , they will prob try to flog you a Scorpion alarm as thats what came with the car originally.

OP
OP
Kinky

Kinky

MB Enthusiast
Car
All sorts of odds n sods
Jason,

Cheers for your opinion. I do agree it certainly sounds like a load of hassle - something I particularly wanted to avoid.

To start with I was after a Clifford Cat 1 system, and then figured that perhaps I might be able to get an 'all-in-one' system (at a decent cost and no hassle).

Back to plan A.

Thanks again.

K

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
I have just bought this off ebay...

i-1.JPG

I was planning to keep this little mod secret until done but since the thread came up, I may as well describe my intentions now.

I intend to remove the existing key and with the aid of a dremel, modify my 'old fashioned' key to fit the flip version. I am also intending to remove the electronics of the key and replace the internals with those from my existing Pirahna alarm fob thus creating a home made version of Kinky's original post.

I will keep you all in the loop how it goes.

Rich

Car
2001 E55 AMG Aprilia SL1000 Honda VTX1800C
The ingenuity of these islanders makes me proud to be a brit.
:)

OP
OP
Kinky

Kinky

MB Enthusiast
Car
All sorts of odds n sods
When I had the kinkmobile in for a main service yesterday I asked about the cost of installing the system I wanted.

he told me - yeah it could be done - but it would be VERY costly - at approx £1.5 - £2k !!!!!

erm ..... thanks but no thanks.

K

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
Sp!ke , one of the chaps on BNZSPORT has done that mod already! there is a 'how-to' on there somewhere too

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
Really??? :confused:

And I thought I was thinking outside the box :mad: :mad:

Oh well, at least it is confirmed it can be done then :)

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
Why not buy a new key from the dealers and get them to cut the blank on it to fit your car ?

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
Expensive key £70+ or something isnt it? Besides, from what I have seen, the blank is a different shape.

I know if I ask the dealer they wont have a clue whether the blank is the same or not. Besides, the first one I try this on needs to be cheap because dont forget I am going to butcher it a bit to get my remote fob inside it.

If it all works I may well get a new one cut for myself and give err-in-doors the ebay one.

pluggers

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK 200 kompressor w209
The key isn't that expensive £46.93+vat and comes pre cut, I gave them my chassis number and 3 days later one arrived from germany and i was away no hassel, just £50 quid lighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom