Remote controlled planes etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Proper old school stuff, mostly proper engine sounds. We have the F3A aerobatics up the road from us once a year, went in for a nose black a few years ago, could not believe they were all electric, didn't sound right at all! Not done any RC modelling for many years now - used to say I built them, son flew and crashed them, I repaired them! Even still have 1 half-built kit and a kit I paid £150 for about 25 years ago (8ft wingspan open cockpit low wing jobbie) that I said I would not start building until I was confident of my building skills - kit is still untouched! Plane actually featured as the cover photo of RCM&E, a few months later I saw that exact plane at Plumpton and bought the limited edition kit.

Some impressive stuff there, and skilful pilots

I remember seeing those pulse jets at Plumpton, stupidly fast! I was far more impressed by a massive Lancaster (18ft wingspan IIRC) with winking guns, opening bomb bay doors etc, needed 2 guys both with 8 channel RC's to fly and operate it! At the time, jet turbines for RC models were just appearing, at IIRC £1k or more! Even a 35cc 4 stroke that I'd have needed for the kit I mentioned above would have been £350 - 25 years ago!

[pedant]Radio controlled[/pedant] :D

I've been building and flying r/c aircraft since 1975 and have flown just about everything with wings or rotors, although nothing particularly huge or exotic. GordonTarling is a bit of a master and will hopefully post details of some of his!

It's a pretty cheap hobby now ... electronics have tumbled in price over the last decade in particular. My first radio set (MacGregor) in 1975 cost over £100 and was only 2 channels. When I started work in 1978 I bought a 6 channel set (Skyleader) and that was about £400. A lot of money back then - I only paid £500 for my car!

I am into my rc stuff too, i have a couple of bought drones and helicopters, also have a few rc cars 2 are petrol and the rest are nitro, also have boats biggest of which is 7 feet long but tbh havent used them in a while

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bill's right, though while I certainly don't consider myself a master, I have been modelling for more years than I care to remember and have won one or two awards at club level. I started with gliders and rubber powered models, then moved on to internal combustion models and converted to all electric power in the early 70's. My 'best' model so far is probably the 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup, photo below, which weighs around 17kg, with a wingspan of 9 feet. It has engine and machine gun sounds, with muzzle flash.

DSC_6069_small.jpg

Some impressive stuff in that video for sure. Some of it was filmed at the Weston Park model show as I remember seeing (and hearing) the pulse jets fly whilst I was there working on our stand.

Ive been doing RC planes, cars and helicopters for about 25 years myself and have worked in the industry for my sins for the last 15 years with a RC Distribution and retail company. Gordon i'm sure used to by stuff from us.

If any one every wants any help or wants any advice i'm always happy to help.

Dean

Can you buy these in kits or do you have to build them buying individual parts?

I've even seen some trucks that looks pretty good

Enya 35bb never been started (boxed, back of sock drawer). R/C trainer almost completed (started building in 1979, in garage), 4 channel R/C (boxed in garage cupboard). Keilkraft models since (Yawn).

Itch that needs scratching? Prob too late, but I can smell the clear dope from here....

Many of the old KeilKraft kits are available now with laser-cut parts etc.

Ripmax recently launched a limited range of them:

Ripmax Radio Control Models - Search

But 'replica' kits are available from other (rather more expensive) sources e.g.

Keil Kraft

They sell old Veron and Mercury designs too.

Can you buy these in kits or do you have to build them buying individual parts?

I've even seen some trucks that looks pretty good

Yes, kits for the trucks are available, though the more dedicated enthusiasts either heavily customise them or build their own from parts. Not cheap though!

Bought 1965 Jodel 120 scale 1:1, wood and fabric, rot in undercarriage mountings had to rebuild main spars and recover wings, under supervision of LAE off course :p

Bought 1965 Jodel 120 scale 1:1

Some r/c models are not far off 1:1 these days :D

86% Pitts Python here:

66% Fokker Dr.I:

Same guy with his 50% Cub (check out the knife-edge passes a couple of feet off the ground):

50% Fokker Dr.I, but being flown indoors :D

Last edited:
My old man has been into it since the 70's and was even a member of a display team in late 70's called The Red Baron's miniature air force.
There were no accidents but it would still be inconceivable today giving a display at a small fete.

He tends to buy larger engines and reconvert them to run on petrol as the 'glow' fuel is expensive.
This is an example of a converted engine and I think the largest is around 50cc.

42727034324_e90a08bde5_z.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom