Removal of oak Trees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dokalj

MB Enthusiast
Hi all,

Unfortunately, the insurance has said our two oak trees that have TPO's have to be cut down to rectify the subsidence.

Now a conservative estimate of 6 tonnes of oak needs to be removed, who owns this oak? I am sure the tree surgeon will attempt to sell this on....or do I have no say?

Thanks

You own it, assuming the tree's are on your land.

Who takes it away is no doubt between you and your tree surgeon.

Any photos - just to see the situation, out of interest?

Any photos - just to see the situation, out of interest?

What would you like, a picture of the subsidence or the trees or both?

TBH the only major crack is in the centre wall, it is a stepped tappered crack.

Monitoring has been in progress for the last three years.

The movement is minimal, less than 2 cms.

Obviously, it is evident the foundations are poor near the conservatory.

I think the insurance company want to remove the trees aand monitor if the problem is still there then they have proposed piles.....not happy...lets just put the piles in and go from there.....I know its more expensive, however I have to live here not them.

Where do you live? I may be able to recommend a surgeon and I'd be interested in some of the wood for my fire.

Thing is - protecting the trees wont help with the subsidence issue...

According to post #1 they already are. But if a house is deemed to be at risk, I presume that takes precedence...

Yes unfortunately, the house is deemed at risk. However, it has been 3 years since initial contact.

I live near Watford, more so the house is sited on clay subsoil. Therefore, some expansion is expected, clay can expand by up to 60%. The house was built to close to the trees. I do feel the house will lose some value, once the trees are removed.

If the subsidence was severe, I am sure the surveyors would have instructed the insurance company sooner and the tree surgeons.

I will try and find the application to the council for removal, it says it on there. Two trees have to be replanted.

Clay soils + Tree's = bad news for foundations.

Particularly with the dry summers we've been having where moisture has not been replaced in the ground. If it is the trees I would try and argue against replanting.

The insurance company will be hoping that as the substrate absorbs moisture the heave will push the foundations back up and settle down.

TPO is Tree Preservation Order - I also have one on the rther large oak tree in our back garden. I also have the rather extensive foudations requirement engineering study that was carried out before the house got planning permission in 1989 - so the foundations on that side of the house go down 3m!! We also are on heavy clay soil.

The wood is yours - I applied for permission to "crown lift" our tree first year we were here (2007), tree surgeon corded anything that was big enough for burning (we have a wood burner in the living room) and removed the rest.

Don't forget that it's not just removing the above ground bit - to get rid of the tree you will also need a stump grinder to remove as much as possible of the belog ground bits. I had to do this with some macrocarpus pines at our old house in the aftermath of the 87 hurricane, and it was not funny! Removing enough of the stump of 3 large trees to allow grassing over the top took a few days, and generated a rather large pile of wood chippings.

Thinking about the foundations here, could they not dig a deep narrow trench along the affected side of the house to break all the roots causing the problems, then pour concrete to stop any new roots from getting under the house? I sympathise with you about the thought of loosing the trees - if we lost our big oak tree it would be devastating!

Thinking about the foundations here, could they not dig a deep narrow trench along the affected side of the house to break all the roots causing the problems, then pour concrete to stop any new roots from getting under the house?

The problem isn't roots under the property but ground shrinkage due to dehydration.

We have an old oak (about 270 years old), but have had it reduced twice due to fungal attack.
I can see it might need to go one day.

Hi
if the trees have TPO's on them, you need permission from the council even to prune them, never mind cut them down... had this at our old place.

Saying that, whereabouts are you - I would happily take a car-load of Oak off your hands for wood-turning? :)

cheers!

Why not look at replanting with a mature tree of a different species - we quite often replace mature trees causing similar problems with an alternative tree that has a tap root rather than a root ball.

Not cheap mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom