Remove intake camshaft 611 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E240estate

Car
2003 S211 E240 Estate; 2003 W638 Vito
Another Vito thread! - I've a 2003 108CDI

I have removed the exhaust camshaft, and now need to remove the intake camshaft. I've been working outside in the rain all morning and my brain needs a rest.

The intake camshaft seems to pass through a chain tensioner, and I can't see how to easily separate the two. Of course this is a delicate area I'm working in so I don't want to start applying force unless it's the right thing to do.

I'll try and put up some pics of the stage I've reached in a minute, but any advice as to what to undo next would be appreciated.

Ultimate aim is to remove head to change HG.

IMAG0615.jpg

IMAG0617.jpg

IMAG0616.jpg

There - and I hope no-one's thinking of making fun of my camshaft locking tool (suitable diameter drill bit)!!!

OK - done a bit of research - I'm talking about the black/purple plastic bit in the photo, between the left hand edge of the head and the toothed wheel. Maybe it's not a tensioner.

Question is, what is it, and how do I remove?

its a chain guide. Way to remove it is get a 2" m8 ( I think) bolt, 1 nut and a large washer. Using a small socket put one nut on the bolt. Put bolt though socket, put the washer over the bolt and screw into hole that you will see in the timing case by the chain rail. Screw the nut in to pull out the pin holding the rail in place. Not a very good explanation but hope it helps. WIS says use a sliding hammer, ha ha. Try getting on into the space available.

Smashing - moved this on a bit now.

Got the high pressure fuel pump out, behind it is a sprocket inside the timing case. Will this come off with the head? Somehow I doubt it. Assuming the fuel pump drive sprocket has to be removed first - how do I do this, preferably without anything (like small, unidentified components) dropping into the timing case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom