Remove Old Wheel Weights sticker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Anyone know any good products to remove the old sticky pads wheel weights were on?

They are a pain to get off :(

Thanks

WD40? "Sticky Stuff" remover? Petrol?

Feel like I keep posting new threads for recommendations lol

Thanks in advance guys, again I'm stocking up on detailing supplies.. would appreciate recommendations on

- Clay kit
- Snowfoam
- Shampoo (Megs Gold I'm thinking)
- Wax (Megs spray wax?)
- Polish (ASR?)
- Particular Microfibres/ wash mitts

Cheers

Last edited:
- Clay kit ... Farecla G3 Clay Mitt
- Snowfoam .... Don't bother IMHO
- Shampoo (Megs Gold I'm thinking) ... My preference is Meguiar’s Shampoo Plus
- Polish ... Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
- Exhaust trims ... NXT All Metal Polysh
- Sealant ... Carlack 68
- Wax .... Collinite 915
- Drying Aid/Quick wax ... Meguiar’s® Synthetic X-Press™ Spray Wax

Cheers mate

As I right in thinking order:

Shampoo with 2 wash mitts, clean wheels etc, dry, clay mitt (with or without detailing spray? I have SONAX Brilliantshine) , Polish, then wax, then seal

Always use a good lube with clay. Using the mitt I just used the wash shampoo water, The mitt retains a lot of liquid, less chance of marring.

Sequence - Wash, Clay, wash, dry, polish, seal, wax.

Obviously one wouldn't do that every wash. A maintenance wash would be shampoo and dry using the X-Press wax and a couple of drying towels.

My current car is ceramic coated, so I only do the maintenance wash now..

Always use a good lube with clay. Using the mitt I just used the wash shampoo water, The mitt retains a lot of liquid, less chance of marring.

Sequence - Wash, Clay, wash, dry, polish, seal, wax.

Obviously one wouldn't do that every wash. A maintenance wash would be shampoo and dry using the X-Press wax and a couple of drying towels.

My current car is ceramic coated, so I only do the maintenance wash now..

Cheers

Anyone know any good products to remove the old sticky pads wheel weights were on?

They are a pain to get off :(

Thanks

I had the same problem recently, used lighter fluid and a plastic scraper. Worked fine using a little elbow grease, just be patient it comes off in the end.

I got rid of my old ones with alcohol wipes, had to Polish wheels back up afterwards though.
As the wipes left my wheels looking a bit dull.

I got rid of my old ones with alcohol wipes, had to Polish wheels back up afterwards though.
As the wipes left my wheels looking a bit dull.

Cheers mate

TBH isnt it the wheel shops job to do this?

P.S thought they were able to use the computer to calculate weighting so they can hide the weights behind the wheel spokes... my place seem not to have bothered

Cheers mate

TBH isnt it the wheel shops job to do this?

P.S thought they were able to use the computer to calculate weighting so they can hide the weights behind the wheel spokes... my place seem not to have bothered

Mine tyre fitter tried as best he could to tuck them out of the way mate, but he only had alloy coloured ones! so I had paint them black as they stood out something rotten.
And he left the backing on from the old weights that was removed when he balanced my wheels.
Cheers Ben :thumb:

- Snowfoam .... Don't bother IMHO

Just curious (as I'm not the most knowledgeable in detailing/aftercare)... Why would you not bother with snow foam?

Is It because it's not effective, or is it because it's actually corrosive/abrasive/something bad?

Many thanks, Kendo

Just curious (as I'm not the most knowledgeable in detailing/aftercare)... Why would you not bother with snow foam?

Is It because it's not effective, or is it because it's actually corrosive/abrasive/something bad?

Many thanks, Kendo

Looks good but if it's going to do anything it would have to chemically attack deposits, can't be good for any protection (wax/sealant etc..) one might have applied.
Even just jet washing the car doesn't remove the traffic film. Always had to use a wash mitt and a decent shampoo.

Looks good but if it's going to do anything it would have to chemically attack deposits, can't be good for any protection (wax/sealant etc..) one might have applied.
Even just jet washing the car doesn't remove the traffic film. Always had to use a wash mitt and a decent shampoo.

I just spray the car down with pressure washer to remove as much debris as possible then go over with a microfibre wash mitt and megs gold (In warm water) does a great job...

I'm also going to order some Sonax wheel cleaner which promises to make doing them a lot easier also I always found it pretty easy to do it with a wash mitt but am a bit over the top lol

I just spray the car down with pressure washer to remove as much debris as possible then go over with a microfibre wash mitt and megs gold (In warm water) does a great job...

I'm also going to order some Sonax wheel cleaner which promises to make doing them a lot easier also I always found it pretty easy to do it with a wash mitt but am a bit over the top lol

Pretty much what I do, except I use Meg's Shampoo Plus with a lamb's wool mitt. My RC is ceramic coated and nothing much sticks to it but the CLS was bugger to keep clean..

A bit of white spirit and a plastic scraper. Comes off easily if you leave the white spirit on for a couple of mins. Also very good for tar spots on paintwork (obviously polishing afterwards)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom