Remove small of smoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wseed

Car
C250CDi, Alfa 147, 330D
I've had my car a few months now and I was hoping the lingering smell of smoke would have disappeared by now, unfortunately not. Any tips on getting rid of the smell? I presume it will be lingering mostly in the soft materials.

I did see on a car program once, buy a bag of barbecue charcoal spread it out on news paper and leave a day or 2, it will suck the smell out of the car into the charcoal then just throw it, i have never tried it but always remembered it. Good luck.

I did see on a car program once, buy a bag of barbecue charcoal spread it out on news paper and leave a day or 2, it will suck the smell out of the car into the charcoal then just throw it, i have never tried it but always remembered it. Good luck.

I heard similar with bicarbonate of soda. Sprinkle it liberally around everything, leave for as long as you practically can (at least 24 hours) and then vacuum up.

I think I'd try the bicarb before the charcoal given that charcoal has a fair odour itself.

What caused the smoke in the 1st place?

The car wasn't new when I bought it. Presumably the previous owner was a smoker. At lease I hope that's the case and it's not been rebuilt having previously burnt to the ground

I think I'll give the frabreez a try first otherwise my next post might be how do I get charcoal stains off my seats.

I heard similar with bicarbonate of soda. Sprinkle it liberally around everything, leave for as long as you practically can (at least 24 hours) and then vacuum up.

I think I'd try the bicarb before the charcoal given that charcoal has a fair odour itself.

As per my last post I think I'll try the spray a try first this might be my 2nd choice if the spray fails.

Thanks for all the hints all. I'll report back on how I get on.

Try shampooing the seats, carpets and headlining.

Try shampooing the seats, carpets and headlining.

+1 - mind you, its difficult to get rid of the smell of smoke, it can linger for ages, but a monthly repeat of the shampooing should get rid of most of it after 3 good goes.

A proper detailer will tell you the tricks of the trade or clean it properly for reasonable cost I would imagine.

The only way to truly get rid of smoke smells is to remove all the interior trim and clean each piece thoroughly.

Smoke gets everywhere!

You need to fight fire with fire (no pun intended)

Place three medium to large fresh dog turds in your air con intake. Smoke smell will not trouble you.

Smoking in cars should be banned anyway !!!!!

4 approaches:
1. Mask the smell (fabreze type things)
2. Absorb the smell (bicarbonate, charcoal, etc)
3. Clean the smell (shampoo all fabrics, wipe down all plastics with cleaning liquid, get an ozone generator, leave plugged in for 2 hours or so)
4. Remove the smell (change pollen filter)

Personally, I've found success with vacuum cleaner perfume bags. Bought from halfords quite cheap, these are designed to be put in your vacuum to absorb odors and release a pleasant fragrance. I buy 1-2 of these, and pop one under the car seat and one in the (new) pollen filter. Within a day or two the smell tends to be gone.

M.

It is very difficult to get rid of the smell of smoke: my mother was a chain smoker and although she has been dead for 10 years, items of furniture, paintings and books that came from her house still have a faint whiff about them.

Getting it out of a car is difficult as it sinks not only into the fabric surfaces but also the foam in seats, fibre insulation, carpet lining etc.

So surface cleaning will only get you so far. Sticking loads of crumpled up newspaper in & leaving for a few days can help as the paper will absorb some of the stench.

However, if you want to get it out properly try getting somebody to do Ozone cleaning. This is used by hotels to get rid of the stench left by antisocial *******s who smoke in non smoking rooms

AutoSmart sell a device that sorts this kind of problem out.

Get some white or clear vinegar and pour it into a large bowl and leave it for a couple of days.
It will smell of vinegar for a couple of days afterwards but then vanish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom