Removing a load bearing wall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
Coming back to the UK in November to do a large extension for my brother.

It's a double height side extension and I have to remove the outside kitchen wall, the problem is that it's load bearing.

From my days in the building game we used strongboys for a solid outside wall and needles for a cavity wall. My brothers walls are cavity but if I needle through it will ruin the new bathroom that is above the kitchen.

Are there any other ways of doing this.

I will be of course liasing with the architect and my sister and her husband are both surveyors but I wanted a head start before my return.

Thanks.

You will need to use acrow to prop and install a catnic Lintel dependent on the load, normally worked out with structural calculations as you may have to use a steel, the catnic is normally used for cavity walls, just ensure you fit drain holes otherwise you will get damp

Structural engineer should do a method statement ( I presume there is one involved given what you are proposing?)

Hi Darrell.
You may be lucky and your bathroom floor joists may run into the internal leaf of block/brickwork that your working on.
If so, you can take a section of kitchen ceiling out prop the joist and fit strong boys into the wall in-between the joists. Strongboys for the outside skin is good.
The fun starts if the joists are running the "wrong" way and sods law there is a joist tight to the internal wall you need to prop.
Your call then, either cut the joist out in sections and later refit a new one along side the old one and prop. Putting needles through may effect the position of the steels.
Good luck..

Hi Darrell.
You may be lucky and your bathroom floor joists may run into the internal leaf of block/brickwork that your working on.
If so, you can take a section of kitchen ceiling out prop the joist and fit strong boys into the wall in-between the joists. Strongboys for the outside skin is good.
The fun starts if the joists are running the "wrong" way and sods law there is a joist tight to the internal wall you need to prop.
Your call then, either cut the joist out in sections and later refit a new one along side the old one and prop. Putting needles through may effect the position of the steels.
Good luck..

Cheers Mac1, I was thinking about that. I will call my brother and he can knock a hole in the kitchen ceiling to find out.

Cheers Mac1, I was thinking about that. I will call my brother and he can knock a hole in the kitchen ceiling to find out.
No probs...Any advice just ask...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom