Removing a private plate and then selling the car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyjenkins

Car
S204 C250 Sport
Hello,
Not a Benz related question, but someone here is bound to know the answer.

I'm going to be selling my fathers car which has a private plate on the vehicle. If I place the private registration on retention, how do I go about getting a "normal" registration mark back on the car ? I know retention is £105 thru £155 for 1 to 3 years.

If I have to apply to the DVLA for a another registration mark - anyone know the cost ? I've searched the direct.gov website to no avail yet .. keep searching ..

Thx

Andy

The car will be issued with a new reg. no. automatically by DVLA, usually the previous/original reg. There is no saving to be gained beyond a one year period, as the ret. cert. is currently renewable annually for £25, but they may, of course, put the prices up!

DVLA do not charge for issuing the car with another number/original number, the only charges you pay are the £80 transfer fee and the £25 retention fee (£105 in total).

You will have to pay to have some new plates made up though....

Ahhh .. thanks guys ... My father died last week and because Mum don't drive there's no need for the car anymore, so I'm tasked with getting rid.

The plate is only one of those £250 jobs from DVLA ...... I may not bother in the interest of time.

Thanks for the speedy reply guys - really appreciate it.

Really sorry to hear of your loss.

The retention process is really straight forward and it may well be worth retaining the number perhaps for sentimental reasons? I'm pretty sure it can be done on the same day (if you visit a DVLA local registration office).

As stated above they assign the replacement number (typically the registration number the car originally had) assuming it previously had a standard registration number.

Alternatively post details of the registration mark here, someone may want to buy it (or also suggest that it's worth keeping hold of).

not worth the hassle if its only worth £250, as the costs of retention and new plates will be around £125 might be worth just letting it go with the car as it can take up to 3 weeks to get the V5 back with the original plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom