Removing a stubborn Oil filter !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterchurch

Hi,
Having been carless for the last week I was due to be picking up a Saab900 as a stop gap yesterday... Having then had it put back to the end of next week due to "yet another excuse" (thrid one ...) I dumped the car.

So now I have bought a 1987 300E saloon of a chap near me I had been sat on his drive for 3 years since his wife died... any how bringing it home last night I noted that it ran a little hot so decided to change the coolant and give it a service :( plugs checked, air filter changed and coolent drained I decided to go for the oil change the engine is a I6 SOHC and the sodding oil filter is stuck up the back of the engine under the air filter box :devil:
Any way after 3 hours of abuse on this thing and a long chat to Ian I have patented a new way of removing an oil filter :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/spud747/trimmers_close.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/spud747/fullpicture.jpg

wish I had have tried this several hours ago any way oil changed coolent changed and I have a 124 with 70K on the clock that just purrrs :D

Cheers for your help Ian :D (tapping that duo valve has helped a Bit as well :) )

Last edited:
isn't that how MB dealers do it ???

peterchurch said:
Any way after 3 hours of abuse on this thing and a long chat to Ian I have patented a new way of removing an oil filter :D

Welcome to the joys of w124 ownership Peter, you'll never want to get rid of it .....

Hedge trimmers ......... cool !! :rock:

You could just have bought these for £6.99 and done the job in 5mins. :rolleyes:

Also, if you changed the coolant I hope you used genuine MB anti-freeze?
Anything else will blow the waterpump and/or headgasket within months.

Howard said:
Welcome to the joys of w124 ownership Peter, you'll never want to get rid of it .....

Hedge trimmers ......... cool !! :rock:

Its growing on me already :) I have got the haynes manual out at the moment trying to figure out how to fix the sun roof :) Unfortunatly the car also has a water leak. But the engine is now sweet as a nut :)

janner said:
You could just have bought these for £6.99 and done the job in 5mins. :rolleyes:

Also, if you changed the coolant I hope you used genuine MB anti-freeze?
Anything else will blow the waterpump and/or headgasket within months.

whoops :( Its a good job I pick up my new saab september then :D

What's actually wrong with the sunroof?
Could be a number of things depending on the symptoms..

Howard said:
Don't ruin the 300e just cos you've got a new Saab (Vauxhall) :p coming in september others may want it !!!

Trust me :) This car has not seen a genuine MB part/service in donkies years :( from the look of the sh1t that came out of its radiator the poor thing was running on water :( I guess its been clocked once maybe twice as the numbers look like a rubics cube puzzle :D Its rusting a the sills :( this is not a car I would sell to a freind :) but the engine is sweet So it would be a shame to f*ck that up as well :(

Is this a well known issue with the antifreeze then?

As for the sunroof

1) I think it may leak
2) yesterday it did not tilt upwards but it did go back
3) today it sort of tilts up in a crippled way but nolonger opens :(

It sounds like it has partially siezed. In the boot there is a manual opening knob, try opening and closing the roof with that a few times and use some grease on the runners when its open.

Ian B Walker said:
It sounds like it has partially siezed. In the boot there is a manual opening knob, try opening and closing the roof with that a few times and use some grease on the runners when its open.

been looking at it this morning :( the passenger side runners have totally disintigrated :( motors fine though :) it looks like I will need to remove the roof and fit a new mechanism :eek: having found the issue the roof is loose and is now being held in place with a pen jammed under it :(

Ian Do you think its worth re draining the coolant and puting MB stuff in?

Peter, I had this arguement with Renault over one of my trucks.
A water pump (complete water system) on an MB is no different to one on any other car.
If it was a new car, then I would say, yes, change it, as they would say it affects the warranty.
On your car though, I would use just normal anti-freeze/coolant.
Renauls fitted a new water pipe at a cost of £30 and then charged me £250 for the coolant. They said if I didn't have it, there would be no warranty on the new metal pipe.
Eerrmmmm :confused:
£30 pipe or £250 coolant :rolleyes:
Told them to drain the coolant out and fill with water. When I got home, I drained some out and put 'Bluecol@ anti-freeze in it.
That was 2 yrs ago and it is still ok today :D

Its not the difference between MB anti freeze and your run of the mill anti freeze, its the difference between the active ingredients. Many german cars have to have red anti freeze as the regular blue or green stuff reacts with the aluminium or something or it might be the other way round.

But basically having the wrong type of anti freeze will shorten the engine life or components of!

deleted

Last edited:
jimmy said:
Its not the difference between MB anti freeze and your run of the mill anti freeze, its the difference between the active ingredients. Many german cars have to have red anti freeze as the regular blue or green stuff reacts with the aluminium or something or it might be the other way round.

But basically having the wrong type of anti freeze will shorten the engine life or components of!

This is a bit scary for me, as I've just had a waterpump changed..... In ignorance, the cooling system is now full of Halfords own red coolant. Should I dump it pronto, or will it be ok?

TIA,

Dave

Is this the same way you should use

mb ATF, mb grease, mb engine oil, mb toothpaste, mb max, mb sreenwash etc etc

I have had my car for 10 years. I often clean out the rad and I only ever put cheap bulk buy coolant in. Never once broke down or had any engine work done on it. MB fills peoples head full of s**t when it comes to maintenance issues. Has anyone ever noticed when in just how many people work at the typical dealers the wages have to be paid from somewhere, and I honestly believe its b**lo*ks like this that keep their p&l looking healthy.

Mb Oil Filter Tool

Returning to the original topic OIL FILTER removal you could have used this pukka MB FILTER WRENCH part no 103 589 02 09 00. I used it on the old canister filters on my 190s and it works fine on the plastic cap of the cartridge filter on my 95 E220. Wasnt very expensive either as I recall :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom