Removing ashtray on a C-class 202?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noogieman

MB Enthusiast
Car
I Loewe Old Skool AMG
I know there are 2 screws to remove but what else is needed to do to get rid of this cancer bucket from my car?
I have highlighted the removed screws.

I want to install the 12v socket and the smaller compartment.
Thanks

Last edited:
Took mine out a while back to hard wire the camera detector supply.

IIRC you also need to pop the gear lever surround off (grab by the cassette/cut holder end and give a sharp pull upwards). The remove the odments tray in front of the ashtray. Then the two screws you mention.

Ashtry and the "sunglasses" tray can now be wiggled out together and then separated.

N.B What are you putting it it's place?

Took mine out a while back to hard wire the camera detector supply.

IIRC you also need to pop the gear lever surround off (grab by the cassette/cut holder end and give a sharp pull upwards). The remove the odments tray in front of the ashtray. Then the two screws you mention.

Ashtry and the "sunglasses" tray can now be wiggled out together and then separated.

N.B What are you putting it it's place?

hey bud thanx for the info.
I am thinking of putting in this storage compartment with the 12v socket.

Is it difficult to connect the 12v socket?
Is it like a plug in connector to this 12v socket?

As you can see in my picture I have a multi 2 socket adapter for my plug Active Gps speed monitor and some other electronics.
Main power from the multi socket adapter is powered from the cigarette lighter plug.
Cheers

Last edited:
This will get you as far as the ashtray screws, once removed, the ashtray pulls out.... http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/49085-auto-selector-light-bulb-replacement-c180-w202-1994-a.html

Dec

that was a great instruction with pictures,
I have been digging there before so I know how to open the center console.

About the ashtray removal: 2 screws above the compartment and the 2 screws below the small pocket compartment near the gear stick?
The above compartment below the radio and the ashtray will come out if I remove these 4 screws?

Yes, if it is the same as mine, but you don’t really need to remove the radio screws if it is just the ashtray only.
The picture below is temporary and may not be there tomorrow so take a copy of it now.

Dec
temporypic.jpg

Yes, if it is the same as mine, but you don’t really need to remove the radio screws if it is just the ashtray only.
The picture below is temporary and may not be there tomorrow so take a copy of it now.

Dec
temporypic.jpg

Ok, I will leave the compartment below the radio intact and only go for the ashtray.
That means removing center console and the small pocket compartment in front of the gear stick, then both screws on each side under front rectangular compartment should be unscrewed.
Only thing to do then is to yank the ashtray out.
Is it that simple?

Only thing now is how to connect the wires from cigarette lighter plug to this 12v socket?

Thanks

It’s that simple, when you remove the 2 ashtray screws, open the ashtray, this will give you something to grasp then just pull/wiggle the ashtray out, when it comes out it will be connected to the cigar lighter wiring.

I don’t know the colours for the cigar lighter electrics but there will be 3 wires.

1 for the cigar lighter element which is Live (Positive+) only when the ignition is on.
1 For the earth (Neutral-).
1 for the cigar lighter illumination bulb, this wire will be live only when the lights are on, the bulb shares its earth with the cigar lighter body.

The picture below illustrates the addition of an extra cigar lighter socket to an existing cigar lighter, the cigar lighter bulb or it's wiring is not shown in the illustration.

Dec

A test lamp is useful for finding what is live and what is not…
Picture source
attachment.php

It’s that simple, when you remove the 2 ashtray screws, open the ashtray, this will give you something to grasp then just pull/wiggle the ashtray out, when it comes out it will be connected to the cigar lighter wiring.

I don’t know the colours for the cigar lighter electrics but there will be 3 wires.

1 for the cigar lighter element which is Live (Positive+) only when the ignition is on.
1 For the earth (Neutral-).
1 for the cigar lighter illumination bulb, this wire will be live only when the lights are on, the bulb shares its earth with the cigar lighter body.

The picture below illustrates the addition of an extra cigar lighter socket to an existing cigar lighter, the cigar lighter bulb or it's wiring is not shown in the illustration.

Dec

A test lamp is useful for finding what is live and what is not…
Picture source
attachment.php

Thanks for sharing buddy.
Ok, then I have to go to the stealership and order these parts, this will be a near future moding.

Cheers:thumb:

It’s a couple of years ago that I was in there at the cigar lighter, not sure now, it may be necessary to remove the big compartment below radio (big green and yellow arrows in picture, post#7) before you can get the ashtray out, I cant remember how it goes exactly now.

Dec

It’s a couple of years ago that I was in there at the cigar lighter, not sure now, it may be necessary to remove the big compartment below radio (big green and yellow arrows in picture, post#7) before you can get the ashtray out, I cant remember how it goes exactly now.

Dec

ok, I will traj dat too:D

I don't suppose you know the part number for the 2 screws that hold the ashtray in place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom