Removing badge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr-Goose

Car
E350 Coupé
I know there are a few threads discussing the removal of badges but they are rather long and became a little heated with regards to whether badges should be removed or not. I thought I'd post a few pics showing how I got on removing the BLUE EFFICIENCY badges. I'm not saying this is the best method but it worked for me. And I'm not going to tell you if I removed the rear badges or not.

I started by washing the surrounding area.

a.jpg

I didn't use a hair dryer as recommended by some people as I didn't feel comfortable doing so. I went straight to the dental floss and use a sawing motion I cut the badge off being careful to angle the floss away from the bodywork. It cut through fairly easily in less than a minute.

b.jpg

I then used my thumb and nails to gently try and rub off some of the top foam. This was much easier on the thin strips at the top and bottom.

c.jpg

Continued below...

This was the result. I washed it down a couple of times to gent rid of anything that might scratch the paint.

d.jpg

I then used some Auto Glym Tar Remover to remove the rest.

Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover 325m...

I applied this to a cloth and dab it on. Once soaked I rubbed it with my thumb and it started to come off in tiny bits. This bit took about 15 to 20 minutes. I reapplied the tar remover frequently to keep it fairly wet. I guess I used about 50 ml per badge. It removed all the glue and foam but left an outline.

e.jpg

I gave it another wash with water and then polished it out by hand using G3 Scratch Remover (liquid variety) and their white applicator sponge (following their directions).

Farecla G3 PERMANENT Scratch Remove...

It took maybe three or four minutes and a couple of applications to remove the outline. I didn't want to over do it so I checked every so often to see if it was gone.

After a wash and application of some G3 Wax (applied with their grey applicator sponge) it was completely gone.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/farecla-g3-resin-superwax-500ml

f.jpg

I guess it took 30 to 40 minutes per badge but I wasn't rushing.

I have reach my upload quota so I can't post any more pictures right now. I'll move them elsewhere and upload a wide shot.

If anyone wants some fetching BLUE EFFICIENCY badges I'll do you a good deal :D

Last edited:
I just use a credit/debit card after making a gap with a thumb nail.

Slow and easy is the trick, though I was probably lucky in that the majority of the tape stayed with the badges.

A smooth look is a good look :D

I know there are a few threads discussing the removal of badges but they are rather long and became a little heated with regards to whether badges should be removed or not. I thought I'd post a few pics showing how I got on removing the BLUE EFFICIENCY badges. I'm not saying this is the best method but it worked for me. And I'm not going to tell you if I removed the rear badges or not.

I started by washing the surrounding area.

I didn't use a hair dryer as recommended by some people as I didn't feel comfortable doing so. I went straight to the dental floss and use a sawing motion I cut the badge off being careful to angle the floss away from the bodywork. It cut through fairly easily in less than a minute.

I then used my thumb and nails to gently try and rub off some of the top foam. This was much easier on the thin strips at the top and bottom.

Continued below...

Looks like a good job mate, there's a lot of ways to take badges off and to be honest it's such an easy thing to do I don't think you can go wrong with most ways, how come your not saying if you took the rear badges off? In my opinion it's cool not having any badges, I've removed mine except the star badge in the middle of the boot it cleans the back of the car up.

Looks like a good job mate, there's a lot of ways to take badges off and to be honest it's such an easy thing to do I don't think you can go wrong with most ways, how come your not saying if you took the rear badges off? In my opinion it's cool not having any badges, I've removed mine except the star badge in the middle of the boot it cleans the back of the car up.

Best not to remove the star on the back, the three holes don't look too good !!
;-)

I appreciate it is fairly easy but it can can quite daunting doing anything to your car given how much it could cost to repair if you got it wrong. I'm not saying because I wanted this thread to be about how, rather than why or if it looks good or not. This way it's like Schrödinger's cat, they've both been removed and not removed.

I deleted the boot lid star when the lid was resprayed. I'm not into 'euro' look but I wanted as less chrome on mine as possible.

I just use a credit/debit card after making a gap with a thumb nail.

Slow and easy is the trick, though I was probably lucky in that the majority of the tape stayed with the badges.

A smooth look is a good look :D

Blimey you haven't removed the badges on yours have you Dave?:D

I deleted the boot lid star when the lid was resprayed. I'm not into 'euro' look but I wanted as less chrome on mine as possible.

Yeah it's all personal preference, with badges, without or just the star on they all look good in there own ways, yeah I'm with you on the less chrome lol.

Makes a change people talking about removing badges on here. The talk is normally about adding badges, usually AMG ones.

Good job by the way Goose. You do realise you have created the perfect place on you car for a "6.3 Bi-Turbo" ,badge don't you ?

Go on ...DO IT !...you know you want to.

Go aan, go aan ,go aan...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom