Removing brake pins ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

Car
CLS 500
I had a look at the brakes on my CLS 500 yesterday and decided that I will leave the pads a bit longer as they had 8 mm one side and 10mm the other, part of the reason is that the pins didnt seem too keen on coming out, if there a knack to getting them out, didnt want to muller them so just asking so when I do come to do it I will be ready.

They can be hard to remove if they have not for some time but you can drift them out with
a set of punches machine mart or halfords sell them, just select the correct hole size then tap the end with a hammer you will not damage the pins as they are hardened

Worst case scenario is if there stuck in there and won't budge, you will need to cut the pins out and drift the ends out of the caliper.

Never seen a set that bad, small screwdriver or a rusty nail works as a punch.

a squirt of penetrating spray over a day a two beforehand will help .

Check the end where the pins should exit as some muppet when they replaced my pads before I had it had burred the caliper hole with a blunt object when tapping the pins in! This then stopped them coming out when I replaced mine. Quick deburr with a scrapper and all good. By the way said muppet was a MB dealer as car had only ever been worked on by them till now.

Cheers will get a set of punches, tried a screwdriver but it wasnt budging, thats when I realised the pads were ok for a while.

Never seen a set that bad, small screwdriver or a rusty nail works as a punch.

It happens, I have done tons of brakes with these calipers fitted, it happens less now due to more robust thicker pins, the inner part of the pin would seize in and as soon as the pin was struck it would bend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom