Removing COMAND and subsequent reprogramming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doodle

MB Enthusiast
Car
R129, KTM 1290SAR, Superb 272 wagon
At some point in the near future I will be pulling the COMAND out in favour of my existing install from the Cupra.

For those in the know, is there anything I need to be aware of? Obviously it'll need STAR to tell it the UHI kit and nav are no longer there.

Presuming this is the 04 S211, then this is some of what you need to watch ..

Speaker wires go to AGW in the boot (left side), so put your aftermarket amps back there..
Once COMAND is gone, the CD changer drawer will no longer open (this may actually be fixable if you leave the AGW with power and CANbus and possibly loop the fibre, but I have never tried).
You can tell the cluster the NAV, Phone and Audio are not there if you want (and those menus will disappear) but if you don't they will just show '----' in the cluster.
You need to tell the cluster NAV is not there so you get the time setting menu back. You may be able to tell it to enable the "time sync with head unit" menu, so you can leave the other menus there (if the Cupra thing (what is that???) can talk to the cluster for sending any nav instructions).
I'd unplug the phone controller(s) (in the box under the boot carpet at the "deep" end of the boot (near the rear seat) - why waste electricity !!
If your car has the CD changer, then disconnect the power supply to the lower control panel when the door is open, makes it much easier to remove the CDC..

Theres probably other things I forgot too :)

Richard

Yes Richard, it's the 211. The install from my Cupra was a Kenwood double-DIN with Nav, Bluetooth, DVD playback and DVB TV tuner. There's also a pair of Audison LRx amps which will be connected with active crossover to a set of Rainbow components in front, and a pair of mid-bass to go in the rear doors. Single boxed 10" sub in the boot.

I had considered retaining the COMAND and putting the necessary changes to give equivalent function to the Kenwood, but I suspect it would be costly. Would need a Viseeo MB2, iPod connection and up-to-date nav disc at a minimum, circa £600? DVB tuner would be nice, but that's probably going to be prohibitive.

Ideally I would like to remove the CD changer and replace it with the cubbyhole that apparently you get if you don't have a changer, but that sounds like it could be hit and miss.

I don't think the amps will fit in that section, they're pretty hefty (2 slabs of 20"x8"x2"). Will be running RCA's through the car anyway rather than relying on speaker output signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom