Removing Dampers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark Ager

Car
mercedes c 270
I have an annoying squeaking/creaking coming form the rear of my c270, I have decided to change the dampers as bushes look ok, b4 I start just wondered if there are any special tools required to get them off? haven't looked just thinkin ahead?

Relatively easy job using a good socket set and spanners. You will need to jack the car up far enough to let the suspension "droop" a bit with the wheel off. Then remove the lower suspension arm plastic cover and the inner side trim inside the boot to get access to the mounting bolts /nuts. You then need to take the tension of the suspension unit by jacking up the lower arm. Same effect can be achieved by by placing chocks underneath the arm and lowering the whole car a bit on the first jack [ you really need a good trolley jack on a solid flat surface for this job to make it easy- the standard wheel change jack is not really stable enough] Undo the top mount nut inside the boot [ might be 2 mount nut plus locking nut] noting the order of any washers rubber mounting rings. At lower end remove the mounting bolt+ locking nut from the arm again noting its direction of orientation and any washers. Compress the shocker slightly and remove- may need some vertical force to do this! Take off the rubber bump stop and put it on the new shocker THEN reverse the whole process. Use a new bolt and locking nuts - normally provided with the shocks- I recommend BILSTEINS Once in place put wheel back on and with car resting on its wheels tighten nuts to 30Nm top nut and 55Nm lower suspension arm bolt
Exercise great caution when working under any car and make sure its adequately supported at all times!!!

Last edited:
Cheers with a bit of luck this will solve my problem

More likely it's a dry lower arm bush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom