Removing fibre glass resin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

millo777

MB Enthusiast
Car
1997 W140 S600L/2003 S211 320cdi
My wonderful neighbour has been having a loft conversion done this week, which has involved a section of fibre glass flat roof.

This morning I noticed my w124 is liberally coated with spots with what i assume is the resin used with the fibre glass matting.

Front and rear screens, bonnet and one side of the car are affected.

Does anybody know of a way of getting this stuff off?

I've tried a clay bar with no luck, and I'm reluctant to use acetone.

Unfortunately fibre glass resin/adhesive when cured is a polymeric material which has a highly stable chemical structure and will be resistant to most common solvents. Anything that shifts it is likely to shift your paintwork! Best to try to find out exactly what type of resin/adhesive was used on the roof. May prove difficult if the roofing company is unwilling to co-operate. Before trying much else document the incident with a description of what happened with dates and photographs. A decent construction company should have insurance cover for claims like this- failing that you may have to claim on your own insurance house or car.

If you're forced to shift it yourself it softens with a gentle heat. Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) then gets rid of the residue while still soft without damaging paintwork.

If you have a good wax coat on your car you may be able to pick it off.

My wonderful neighbour has been having a loft conversion done this week, which has involved a section of fibre glass flat roof.

This morning I noticed my w124 is liberally coated with spots with what i assume is the resin used with the fibre glass matting.

Front and rear screens, bonnet and one side of the car are affected.

Does anybody know of a way of getting this stuff off?

I've tried a clay bar with no luck, and I'm reluctant to use acetone.

If DIY removal is not going to work ( paintwork is likely to be the problem as glass can probably be cleared with a razor blade or the like ) then you might have to get it removed professionally , which might involve repainting .

A lot depends on how you get on with your neighbour and the first step would be to speak to him/her as he/she will be responsible for damage done by tradespeople in his/her employ . The neighbour might ask the tradesperson to make good the damage , but legally the responsibility , even if not the fault , is theirs .

If you don't get anywhere by approaching nicely , the easiest option would be to place the matter in the hands of your insurer who should see you alright , then seek recovery from the neighbour , who in turn can claim from the tradesman : your insurer would probably go after the neighbour's household insurer , who in turn would chase the trader .

Failing all of that , ask Winston Wolf round :D

If DIY removal is not going to work ( paintwork is likely to be the problem as glass can probably be cleared with a razor blade or the like ) then you might have to get it removed professionally , which might involve repainting .

A lot depends on how you get on with your neighbour and the first step would be to speak to him/her as he/she will be responsible for damage done by tradespeople in his/her employ . The neighbour might ask the tradesperson to make good the damage , but legally the responsibility , even if not the fault , is theirs .

If you don't get anywhere by approaching nicely , the easiest option would be to place the matter in the hands of your insurer who should see you alright , then seek recovery from the neighbour , who in turn can claim from the tradesman : your insurer would probably go after the neighbour's household insurer , who in turn would chase the trader .

Failing all of that , ask Winston Wolf round :D

Clay bar might be your friend here - definitely worth a go - but be very careful and use to makers instructions and bin it if you drop it - I had very bad overspray on my car and it worked a treat - good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom