Removing fine glass scratches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jfhuk

Car
W212 E350 diesel estate
I'm getting very fine scratches appearing on all windows of my 3 year old E class. Merc spec glass seems to suffer more from this than other manufacturers.What's the best proven methods to remove them that people have found?

Hi you can try a very cheap method the car trade used it years ago and that is toothpaste,they used to use it on headlamp glass

You can buy glass scratch removal liquid from Halfords. I've got some but can't recall name. Once scratches polised out treat it with a glass sealant - such as Dodo's Supernatural glass sealant.

Thanks everyone. The risks of damaging the glass sounds high. Are there any recommended glass doctors in the Berkshire area?

I have worked in the windscreen trade for over 10years, any glass I get that's scratched we use jewellers rouge on a soft pad on a drill, is ok for a few marks but would take forever for a large amount of scratches. Always the chance of making it worse though, you will probably find its better or more cost effective to go down the route of replacing the whole screen. This would usually cost your glass excess if you are fully comp so should be between £50-£80. Also I take it the vehicle is a 2014 model? If you request genuine glass most insurance companies will honour it on vehicles less than 3 years old. Hope that helps

Sorry was looking at above posters car.. Not sure what year your car is

Jewellers rouge :)

Be careful not to go too mad with it or you could make a lens in the glass.

My windows got scratched a few years back from using an ice scraper (I will never use one again!) and from memory I had all my glass replaced, except the rear screen, all for the cost of my excess which was around £75. Proper Merc glass too :)

Oh dear, scrapers aren't good especially if you have dirt or grit on the window as the scraper drags it all over the glass, atleast you managed to get it done on the insurance, good result :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom