Removing grease on carpet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
I started cleaning the interior of my SM (nice blowy day to dry it). The nearside rear carpet has grease marks from the fateful day when the disc brakes exploded taking out the drive shaft and gearbox and I (distractedly) put the remains in the back.

After cleaning with Autoglym interior cleaner, something that is normally excellent in removing filth, the marks have hardly shifted.

smgrease_zpsjn8qyrnc.jpg

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good cleaner to remove the grease without damaging the absolutely original carpet?

I'd either rub in something like shake n vac or talcum powder and then gently rub in a light dose of diluted traffic film remover on a cotton cloth. Then at it with your extraction cleaner. Not the ideal colour to be experimenting with though...

Really surprised nobody has mentioned sugar yet. Throw a handful of sugar over it, and a good cleaning product. Scrub away and hey presto

Really surprised nobody has mentioned sugar yet. Throw a handful of sugar over it, and a good cleaning product. Scrub away and hey presto

Good call. I use sugar and fairy liquid to get oil/fluid stains from the driveway. Mix to a sticky gloop, (if you have any TFR all the better) scrub with a brush and then rinse away. The results are very good.

Something effervescent might well be effective too but I would be nervous about the light carpet colour.

If all else fails, dishwasher/washing machine job with plenty of vanish. Not the spray or gel, but the hard bar of vanish that you crumble and rub in

2014 NYE, cherry sours over a White tshirt- gone :)

I worked at a carpet cleaing company .The product used mainly was white spirits ,for non rubber backed carpets only use it lightly dont let it soak through .After treatment it was put in a dryer to dry. Only cleaner i use on my carpets .

There's one stain on a bit of carpet that is out of sight under the front seat. I'll do a test on that to start.

optimusprime said:
I worked at a carpet cleaing company .The product used mainly was white spirits ,for non rubber backed carpets only use it lightly dont let it soak through .After treatment it was put in a dryer to dry. Only cleaner i use on my carpets .

After drying would the smell of white spirit go?

When I worked as a P&Decorator if the nightmare of gloss on carpet happened, I'd clean it off with white spirit. But after job finishing I wouldn't be back in the clients premises, not knowing if the smell stayed or not

(This only happened twice, I promise!) :eek:

IPA for carpet oil stains, rather than household 'Barry Scott' chems.

Saturate the stain in IPA, then use tissue paper carefully as blotting paper.

Repeat, lifting out more dark nastiness, deft use of an old toothbrush etc, be gentle so as not to spread it.

I've yet to find a stain that this has not completely eradicated or a carpet that has even been slightly affected by this.

Spray, wait and vacuum = :):)

Keep it off ABS plastic especially though, as it will melt it. In fact keep it only on the pile of the carpet would be my suggestion. Karcher do a nice wee steam & vacuum cleaner too Charles although for oil I have found the can treatment the best so long as you don't over spray on plastic based items including carpet edging. If you do, wipe it off immediately.

Oil is like a fine soup for this stuff Charles, if you want to try and you can't get it in the UK let me know...W.

Last edited:
IPA for carpet oil stains, rather than household 'Barry Scott' chems.

Saturate the stain in IPA, then use tissue paper carefully as blotting paper.

Repeat, lifting out more dark nastiness, deft use of an old toothbrush etc, be gentle so as not to spread it.

IPA - India Pale Ale?

I have a whole load of Isopropyl alcohol, which is within the same spectrum as the denatured alcohol (meths) mentioned in Ringway's vid and the white spirit Optimusprime suggests. I'll start with that. It evaporates very quickly and makes me nicely high.

Charles

I am about to embark on a similar mission on my Mushroom 124 carpets. My plan is to test out a diluted solution of Surfex HD. Why this? Well It is the best product to date that I have found to date for cleaning an engine. I also noticed when doing so that it cleaned up my old suede boots (heavily oil stained).

My plan is to give a spray onto a hidden area then attach with a brush to agitate it, before using the trusty VAX carpet cleaner.

If this works I will audition for CSI Kent.

Forgot to mention. It is also chemical free (claims to be) so should be safe.

Last edited:
Don't use the CSI Jizz Spray on them Bruce - Lord knows what might show up!

Remember that Top Gear feature with used BMW 3 series, they found nasty things in the Hamster's car.

S

The VAX is a vacuum wet carpet cleaner. If that is what the question was?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom