Removing old kitchen floor tiles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Keith, when you have all the tiles up it's probably best to go over the whole floor with self levelling compound (latex). If you lay ply straight down it will never sit flat.

Thanks Leigh. We're stripping it out mainly because we have the time (i.e. between the old kitchen going and the builders coming in to knock walls through and put new flooring down). So we decided to save ourselves a few bob into the bargain by us doing it rather than paying them to do it.

Part of their quoted work is to put down a levelling compound prior to the new floor going in.

As a somewhat irrelevant side note, somewhat oddly the kitchen, dining room, hallway and office are on a concrete slab, but the living room is on suspended timber.

Having done the very job you are about to undertake, I implore you to wear eye protection and ear defenders.

As a somewhat irrelevant side note, somewhat oddly the kitchen, dining room, hallway and office are on a concrete slab, but the living room is on suspended timber.

Take a closer look at those floorboards.

I've worked on houses just like yours and the floorboards turned out to be laid on top of concrete.

My floor is like that, block and beam in the kitchen, suspended in the dining room.

Top tip, wear gloves like crappy cheap leather n fabric ones. Awkward to work in till they soften but they really soak up the vibes (so the mrs tells me heheehehehe)

Take a closer look at those floorboards.

I've worked on houses just like yours and the floorboards turned out to be laid on top of concrete.

It's defo on suspended timber joists. The surveyors picked up on it when we bought the house. Also, there are several air blocks under the damp course around the external wall of the living room, but nowhere else around the rest of the house.

It's defo on suspended timber joists. The surveyors picked up on it when we bought the house. Also, there are several air blocks under the damp course around the external wall of the living room, but nowhere else around the rest of the house.

John Wayne Gacey Architects? :eek:

I thought he was a better example than the homeboy Fred West (if there's such a thing as a "better" serial killer). :cool:

Quick update

Here's the kitchen about an hour ago:

23092011466.jpg

And about 5 minutes ago: Done!

23092011468.jpg

Just the utility (behind camera in the second shot) to go, and we're done. :bannana:

I'd say about 3 hours work to go, then the trips to the tip start... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom