Removing Rear Calipers from a C126 560SEC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbjeppm

MB Enthusiast
Car
C207 E Coupe 350cdi, W166 ML 250 Cdi Sport, R171 SLK 350, Suzuki V Strom DL650
Hi All,

I had a look at removing the rear calipers on my SEC at the weekend.

The two 19mm bolts will not move at all. Primarily because there does not seem to be enough room to get a breaker bar on them.

The spring, parts of the SLS system are all in the way, and I just cannot get any leverage at all.

There is also no room to wield an air impact gun.

So can anybody who has done this job before,tell me how they have gone about doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have done it but its been a while... Im pretty sure I would just have used a breaker bar or spanner... Having it on a ramp will help.

I have done it but its been a while... Im pretty sure I would just have used a breaker bar or spanner... Having it on a ramp will help.

Thanks Jay, even on a ramp, I am still at a loss as to how you did it, as there is just no room.

I read somewhere that these bolts can be loctited in, the only thing I have not tried is heat.

I will try that next.

Any other ideas guys?

I wouldnt use too much heat. It will boil the fluid and damage the flexis..

I have various wobbly joints that I use so I suspect I used one of those.

image_14223.jpg

help

Done this , had the tea shirt. And you my get one out of the 2 out by useing a small bottel jack under a NEW ring spaner not one thats worn Give all the bolts a good prnetrating with release fluid over night.Also you will need 2 new bolts per side due to damage. I had to go to brute force with a lump hammer no other way as i had no room under the car .What ever way you go dont use old spanners on the bolts as they will slip off at first tap of the hammer.Dont give up, as they have to come off .Let us know how it goes.

I wouldnt use too much heat. It will boil the fluid and damage the flexis..

I have various wobbly joints that I use so I suspect I used one of those.

image_14223.jpg

I have a 1/2 inch wobble connector, but it was too big connected to a 19mm socket, your built in ones may just do the job. Thx

Done this , had the tea shirt. And you my get one out of the 2 out by useing a small bottel jack under a NEW ring spaner not one thats worn Give all the bolts a good prnetrating with release fluid over night.Also you will need 2 new bolts per side due to damage. I had to go to brute force with a lump hammer no other way as i had no room under the car .What ever way you go dont use old spanners on the bolts as they will slip off at first tap of the hammer.Dont give up, as they have to come off .Let us know how it goes.

I had better order new bolts now then :)

I have had another look, and I may be able to get to them if I stretch the spring, with a foot extension through the spring on the end of the air impact gun. Although I may need a compressor with more oomph.

I will spend this week spraying them with PlusGas, and have another go on the weekend.

I normally lock one spanner into another for extra leverage, then a good sharp yank and they crack loose.

I had a bit of extra time this evening, and managed to do it.

Heat gun, 45 seconds on the end of each nut, loctite started to melt, and they came off easily, result.

So now I have got them off, i then could not undo easily the brake lines (these are calipers that sit forward of the disk, that use metal brake lines), and I did not want to burr them with a normal spanner.

So I just ordered a set of flare spanners, as I did not have any, and left them soaking in PLUSGAS until the weekend.

Step by step.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom