Removing sound deadening CLK W208

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smile

Car
'02 W208 CLK Convertble
Hi guys,

So I suffered from the fairly common issue of having the rainwater drain by the windscreen block up, overflow, and absolutely waterlog my front AND rear passenger side carpets. Joy!

I've managed to unblock it today so hopefully that shouldn't happen again which is good!

I'm now left with the task of drying everything out, I've removed the carpets I can, but in the front passenger footwell I've come across a fairly big wedge of sound deadening which is completely sodden that ideally I'd like to remove so I can dry it out. Only problem is the footplate is in the way.
Does anyone know how easy that footplate is to remove? And if that sound deadening will come out easily after that?

Pics of what I'm talking about:

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

See the insulation poking out underneath it? It's quite thick too so it's holding a lot of water.

Hi,
To remove the "foot plate" you need to just remove the three plastic 10mm nuts you can see in your pic , it has various ECUs fitted to it and behind it. Removing the sound proofing may prove fruitless as it is well and truly glued down. It will be bit of a mission to dry this and the carpets thoroughly due to the amount of sponge under the carpet and the amount of water it will hold. I would dry the carpets as much outside of the car as much as possible, and then put loads of newspaper under the carpets when you have to use the car and put the carpets back in. I was driving my AMG for a few weeks removing and replacing the passenger carpet and replacing the newspaper.
Worth checking for any evidence of oil in this area to, as the gearbox ECU is behind that footplate, and the gearbox oil can wick along the loom contaminating the ECU.

Thanks for the advice Andy.

I removed the panel with the 3 plastic nuts you mentioned and inspected the underside of the panel, I'm relieved to say there was so no evidence of oil or water damage! The box is encased in plastic so the story could be different underneath that, I guess I'll have to wait until I use the car next and see if the gearbox is working smoothly to be completely sure that nothing's damaged. But there were certainly no traces of oil on any of the wiring.

The small piece of sound deadening directly underneath it was completely dry which was a nice surprise.

I've now left the panel laying down and have set up a small electric heater pointing into the footwell in an attempt to dry out any other sound deadening up there.

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

So hopefully this is a happy ending!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom