Removing speedo glass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DonVitto

Car
Mercedes C180 CGI Sport
I am now in receipt of my 2011 Mercedes C180.

Everything about the car is brilliant. With just one snag.

There is a dead spider behind the speedo glass, along with a web that the said spider must have created before its demise.

Does anyone know the process for removing the speedo glass, I really want to remove the spider carcass and web. The glass also has a scratch on it so ideally I'd like to change it (perhaps someone thought if they hoovered furiously at the glass it would somehow suck the spider through it, and scratched it in the process). Anyway, removing the spider and web would be a start.

Thank you,

DonVitto

There's a satin finished plastic insert surrounding the instrument cluster, holding it in and hiding the 4 torx screws behind.

If you get your nails under the top and pop it off all around, it'll come away exposing the 4 torx screws that holds the entire binnacle in.

With these removed, the entire instrument binnacle will lift out, it's fiddly and you'll have to move the steering wheel out of the way, then detach it's single cable (it has a lever clamp).

The cluster itself just pops apart with clips in two halves, the front plastic "glass" and the rear ventilated plastic section. I can't remember if there's screws too, but I don't think there is.

There's a satin finished plastic insert surrounding the instrument cluster, holding it in and hiding the 4 torx screws behind.

If you get your nails under the top and pop it off all around, it'll come away exposing the 4 torx screws that holds the entire binnacle in.

With these removed, the entire instrument binnacle will lift out, it's fiddly and you'll have to move the steering wheel out of the way, then detach it's single cable (it has a lever clamp).

The cluster itself just pops apart with clips in two halves, the front plastic "glass" and the rear ventilated plastic section. I can't remember if there's screws too, but I don't think there is.

Many thanks, doesn't sound too difficult. Silly question but I assume detaching and reattaching the cable doesn't lose any information - and this can be done without removing the battery or anything like that?

Not sure how I will get the satin surround off as I don't have any nails and don't want to risk damaging it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom