Removing steering wheel cls w219

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gbrowncls55

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS500 4.7TT 2012,, SL350 09, 996 cab, all current. Gone :CLS 55 E500 W211, 2x M5s and too many 911s
Hi I've managed to get hold of a cls63 paddle steering wheel to replace my 55 button one. Anybody know if you have to disconnect the battery when removing the old one. Don't want any exploding airbags!

If you disconnect the air-bag with the battery connected you will get an SRS light that will have to be reset with a good scanner, or Star.
As you say, you do not want any accidents.

Hi I've managed to get hold of a cls63 paddle steering wheel to replace my 55 button one. Anybody know if you have to disconnect the battery when removing the old one. Don't want any exploding airbags!
Here’s a video explaining how to.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Made by @KillerHERTZ :)

Many thanks. I just need to think about the best way to mark the steering wheel position as it will be a different wheel going back on. Good video by the way.

Are you sure it's a straight swap? Are the communication protocols the same?
I swapped steering wheels on my S203 '05 and found the replacement wheel used a different protocol and required a conversion box within the wheel before any of the buttons and horn would work.

Oh wonderful. I thought I had read on here that it was a straight plug and play but you may be right, Nothing MB is ever as simple as it looks!. Only way will be to try it I guess

Oh wonderful. I thought I had read on here that it was a straight plug and play but you may be right, Nothing MB is ever as simple as it looks!. Only way will be to try it I guess

I now own KillerHERTZ previous cls. He put the 63 paddles on it, not the whole steering wheel, just modded the buttons to accept the paddles. Works perfectly, full Ipod controls etc, so if the 63 wheel isn't plug n play this may be a good option for you? Drop him a pm or check out his Youtube channel. Can't recall if he has a vid of the paddle mod but I'm fairly certain there's mention of it in his posts.

As far as I can see/read/understand it is a plug and play item although it is coming off a US car so that may affect things. Ill post up what happens once it arrives and just keep my fingers crossed for the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom