Removing sticky stuff, tip.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazCaff

MB Enthusiast
Car
'05 E280 CDI Avantgarde
The self adhesive pads that hold on my numberplate were past their best so I took the time to renew them this evening.

Nothing spectacular in itself, but I was having trouble removing the residue of the old pads before fitting the new ones (I actually used double sided body moulding tape for better contact) onto clean plastic. I tried various products to clean the residue off like vinegar and MEK and Wonder Wheels, but when I tried Brake and Clutch cleaner with a scourer it took all the glue off easily and in a fairly short time.

I just thought I'd share this little tip should anyone else need to do the same thing in the future.:)

yikes! that is strong stuff! could melt plastic, burn paint and hands....

Thanks for the tip but White spirit works well also :)

dont forget to wear protection.

....dont forget to wear protection.

fnar fnar!

Quite true in what you say though. I should have added that I thoroughly washed my hands afterwards and that it would be best to wear gloves or something, I don't want sueing! :D

Try WD40, it works really well at removing sticky material.

Try WD40, it works really well at removing sticky material.
Just what I was going to say. WD40 removes almost any sticky stuff off of anything:D

you could also try steam from a boiling kettle....

Eucalyptus oil, every time. Even gets the sticky off from Le mans stickers, the stickiest things known to man.

Ian

Cigarette Lighter fuel (Naptha). The petrol type, not the gas refills. Great for all sorts of cleaning as there is nothing I can think of on a car which it would have any effect on. Available from Tobacconists and Newsagents.

Would WD40 be OK on glass?

We have some sticky spots on our windows (house) from when they were fitted - just can't get rid of it. A glazier suggested a razor blade but I'm reluctant to try it.

Would WD40 be OK on glass?

We have some sticky spots on our windows (house) from when they were fitted - just can't get rid of it. A glazier suggested a razor blade but I'm reluctant to try it.

most definitely:rock:

If the bits are hard glue or other hard substance then WD40 probably wont work, just use the blade as suggested it won't scratch.

If the bits are hard glue or other hard substance then WD40 probably wont work, just use the blade as suggested it won't scratch.
Is there a special tool for this, or is it just a matter of holding something like a stanley blade without a holder. I'm not good with sharp stuff!!

You can buy a cheap scraper with a stanley blade in it from B&Q or Homebase.

Andrew

I tried various products to clean the residue off like vinegar and MEK and Wonder Wheels,

Do you really mean MEK?...Not only will that burn through the paint or plastic rapidly it's a banned substance due to being a known carcinogen, even blanket wash which is the substitute is still very aggressive.

if you mean MEK to be methyl ethyl ketone (or butanone), then it is not toxic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanone

It has virtually the same toxicity as acetone which is the major constituent of nail varnish remover.

[HarryHill] Fight! [/HarryHill]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom