Removing sticky stuff, tip.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
well, I hope not a fight, but I am a chemist so I'm a bit pedantic when it comes to chemicals.

DM might mean MEK to be something else, in which case the substance he is referring to may well be banned. But MEK is the common abbrieviation for butanone!

I am happy to stand corrected.

We used to use MEK as a cleaner some years ago but were advised it was subsequently banned due to health risks and replaced with a different solvent.
It will definately melt plastic and strip paint very easily though..

Nah, it isnt going to kill you. But that doesnt mean to say there isnt a substitute with even lower toxicity.

But, like any chemical, I wouldn't like to be breathing the vapour for any length of time. It'll make you feel sick for one!

As you say, I wouldnt let it near any plastic or paint!

Do you really mean MEK?...Not only will that burn through the paint or plastic rapidly it's a banned substance due to being a known carcinogen, even blanket wash which is the substitute is still very aggressive.

Yeah MEK is aggresive but is still commonly used in the armed forces (its a little of my "war stock" shall we call it?). I used to use it as a cleaner and de-greaser. The main hazzards with it are it's low flash point, noxious fumes and its defatting effect on skin after prolonged contact.

It will melt plastic and rubber, but the rate at which it does it depends on the composition of the plastic or rubber. The MEK would have evaporated off the numberplate housing long before it had melted it.

In the Army they tried to substitute MEK with Lotoxane (which smelled like fly spray). The Lotox was very average as a cleaner and next to useless as a degreaser because it actually left a residue itself!

Try WD40, it works really well at removing sticky material.

Is WD40 safe to use on a laptop too?

I have a new one and whipped off all the Windows, Energy Rating, Intel stickers (etc) but one has left sticky marks.

You can buy a solvent from upvc window places,the trade type not the showroom places and it its just amazing on gluey residues,contact and acrylic etc.cleans window frames and glass too and its dirt ceap.

Is WD40 safe to use on a laptop too?

I have a new one and whipped off all the Windows, Energy Rating, Intel stickers (etc) but one has left sticky marks.

Spray it onto a clean rag and use the rag to wipe the residue off.
WD40 will be great for it.

Thanks for the post, I always use hairdryers, I have an old one in the garage for such things, warm it up, and pull it off :)

Hold a stanley blade at 45 degrees and scrape away, but if you dont want to cut yourself check the blade is the right way round.

De Glue

Use Petrol and an old plastic Tesco clubcard or similar.

Oh a cheaper and safer option would be nail varnish remover, containing acetone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom