removing tailgate lock barrol

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

does anyone know how to remove a key barrol from a W124 estate tailgate lock? i have fitted a new (2nd hand) lock but need to swap the actual key barrol

thanks

derek

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
Derek ,

it has been a while , but if you remove the whole electrical locking mechanism from the tailgate , the lock barrel is held on only by two screws ( and is fairly obvious to remove once you have the assembly out in your hand ) .

OP
OP
SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Derek ,

it has been a while , but if you remove the whole electrical locking mechanism from the tailgate , the lock barrel is held on only by two screws ( and is fairly obvious to remove once you have the assembly out in your hand ) .

Thanks Derek. I'll try this. The reason is I bought a donor car and swapped the tailgates round (as the donor had a brand new tailgate after a recent accident).... and as everything worked on it i just kept all the electricals in it, but the keys are different. i could just swap round the whole assembly with my old one, which i will do if i have to remove the unit anyway (as my car had a brand new tailgate lock fitted prior to my purchase from CI so probably better to keep with that if i can).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom