Removing the gaitor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iyse

Car
Porsche Boxster
Anyone got any idea how the remove the gaitor from the gearknob after it's been released from the gearstick?? I wanna change my gearknob but I obvioudly don't want to damage the gaitor when swapping it round on to the new gearknob. :)

Is the knob and gaitor not the one and same item? I thought it was one piece?

I assume you can untuck the leather gaitor from the knob (I've got a manual BTW) and then re-tuck it into a new knob, but I don't wanna pull it out and not be able to tuck it back in.

Iyse - as Graham says, they come as one-piece.

I think the only item that is easy to remove is the badge on the top (pushes on)

Oh, and they are not real leather (on an Esprit anyway!)

Cheers,

Will

Iyse said:
I assume you can untuck the leather gaitor from the knob (I've got a manual BTW) and then re-tuck it into a new knob, but I don't wanna pull it out and not be able to tuck it back in.

The gaitor leather goes over the knob hence it is all one piece, no?

Does yours look like mine :eek: or is yours much earlier (pre-facelift cars if early enough did have different knob)

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1639&stc=1 .

You can get these in all sorts of colours and two tone colours from MB.

This is Steve's pre-facelift two tone OEM:

Pic

I am pretty sure that they will all be similar to that - even the W201 190Es had a similar design twenty years ago!

If Iyse could elaborate on what kind of gearknob he has in mind, it might be easier.

Fitting an original MB one would be simply plug and play, but if you want to try and fit something else, you're gonna end up butchering the old gaitor!

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom