Removing the gear shift knob

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gklau

Car
C180K Avantagarde SE
Hi,

I've tried searching the forum, but I can't find any information on removing the gearshift knob on a W203 c-class sedan. Can anyone tell me how to do it? A step-by-step instruction guide would be helpful.

Thanks

use a plastic spatchula or i use my fingers and pull the chrome surround up at the edges working your way round a few times and making it come up gradually all the way round.

Push the leather insert out of the chrome plastic pannel.

Pull the leather up.

Turn the black ribbed nob a half turn.

Pull the nob up. Wella.

Sorry Spike, just seen youv'e got a 124, so gentle lift the surround, it only clips in, then lift the gaiter, inside out, if you know what i mean, then push a little plastic clip off the shaft and inside the gaiter, then remove gaiter, undo locknut and unscrew knob, hope this helps Rob

Hey jason,

So will the shift knob just come off the leather surround?

whilst we're on the subject ... how do you remove the auto knob from a W202 .. I've just got a new one :D

S.

Originally posted by sym
whilst we're on the subject ... how do you remove the auto knob from a W202 .. I've just got a new one :D

S.

rotate the plastic coller 90 degrees to the left (it will go) and then pull knob up.

Originally posted by Shude
Talking about hair products? Do you mean Voilá? :)

hair products:p

Originally posted by gklau
Hey jason,

So will the shift knob just come off the leather surround?

Im not too sure , ive never tried to seperate them . :'(

sym said:

S.

Sorry to dig out this old thread. Sym - Did you manage to do this in the end? I have got a W202 auto and don't seem to have a collar to twist? The leather knob seems to be quite long and ends near the base of the surround. Have tried twisting the knob but it is very tight and not moving at all. I don't want to risk breaking it.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Steve

There are two types the newer type like syms that has a collar that you twist, and the older typre that has the knob and the pole as one unit which sounds like yours High Lo. I've never tried to remove the old type but I believe the whole knob and pole unscrew. Dont blame me if it breaks though coz I've never tried!!

R2D2 said:
There are two types the newer type like syms that has a collar that you twist, and the older typre that has the knob and the pole as one unit which sounds like yours High Lo. I've never tried to remove the old type but I believe the whole knob and pole unscrew. Dont blame me if it breaks though coz I've never tried!!

Ah I see! That explains it then. Lucky I didn't force the twisting! I'll be on the lookout for a pole and knob in one unit then. Looking for a wood/grey leather combination knob.

Thanks for that R2D2 :)

Does anyone know where I can get AMG shift knob (for manual gearbox), illuminated AMG door pins as well as Bose pins?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom