removing timing chain casing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

butler23

Car
Mercedes c230k sport w202
Hey guys, still at abit of a stuggle trying to get this old cover off....! Think all ive got left to do now is take out the sump bolts and also im stuck with 2 bolts at the top underneath the 2 cam sprockets. Ive taken 1 off to move it so i can get to the bolt but not theres a guide rail in the way... and advice to how you remove it? Have 0 experience when it comes to things like this and i was punching above my weight even attempting it to begin with but im nearly there now and would be a shame to give up.
Managed so far with very little information and no1 really on hand to help but im without a car now and really need to get this done.
Just feel like scrapping the thing!
Any help much appreciated guys! Cheers.

Not familiar with your car but to generally to remove the guide rails, and the timing cover, you need to remove the bearings that goes through the cover and into the block You may well need a puller or slide hammer to get them out. You only need to remove those sump bolts that go into the cover. the others need to be loosened and the sump eased to allow the timing cover to be removed. Really you just need to follow it through and if it will not move find what's stopping it. Again not sure on your engine but it also depends on how the oil pump is driven. If you need to disconnect it to get the cover off you will have to remove the sump although hopefully it might be a two part sump which will make it easier.

Ive found a few things online which has got me to where i am now and ive just taken the supercharger off today to get access to the tensioner. Ive got every other part off that i need removed. Just the sump bolts left and 2 bolts going into the top of it. Removed 1 today and took tension off the chain so i could get to it then spotted the guide rail in the way.
Since i posted this ive found a diagram showing the rail and it looks like theres a straight pin i need to remove and i assume it just moves out the way then i can get the bolt out then i have to do the same on the other side.
Its been a ball ache to get where i am now considering im not completely mechanically minded but just seems to be 1 thing after the other haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom