removing w208 comand without tools?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

larby

Car
W208 CLK 430, full AMG spec
Hi all,

Is there a 'heath robinson' way to remove the comand head unit from my W208 CLK without the merc tools?

I know this sounds ridiculous with them only being 60p or something, but I'm really impatient and wouldn't be able to get a set over here for a week or so by which time I'll have missed the bank holiday which I intend to use to fix it (usual CD issues). :crazy:

I've tried a cleaning disk but to no avail.

Any suggestions/help much appreciated!!

Cheers, James

Thanks, but he doesn't mention anything about removing the comand unit without the MB tools which is my issue. I had a read through that thread and several others before posting...

Thanks, James

-IF- the COMAND is fitted using the locking edges then you'll need the tools to do it easily

if it hasnt been fiited using the locking edges then it should just pull out - worth a try

You could try to make your own based on this pic, the centre holes being important as the catches go through these and then u pull it out.... but would be hard to do i'd imagine and get right spot-on.

000_589_88_63_00.jpg

Last edited:
Tried giving it a good tug from the back and it wasn't shifting. I cut off two little strips of credit card and slid them in the slots, but this didn't work, due to the lack of those little holes I guess. From looking at a pic of the side of the comand unit, I didn't realise the catch mechanism was that complicated!

Any idea how long that standard tool is? If I know that I may be able to knock one up easily enough. Any idea what the function of the curve at the end is?

Thanks for the help, James

Just nip down to either Merc dealer or any car hifi shop - they will both have tools and i'm sure will pop it out for you for nothing ..

Richard

halfords do a cheap & nasty key ( its thin & bends easily) but works nevertheless

halfords do a cheap & nasty key ( its thin & bends easily) but works nevertheless

No Halfords over here, or much else for that matter! :(

Just nip down to either Merc dealer or any car hifi shop - they will both have tools and i'm sure will pop it out for you for nothing ..

Richard

Wow! Your MB dealer must be a lot better than mine! Jacksons over here charge £150 p/h, would make me join the waiting list and then WOULD charge me for an hour to take it out!!

That said, I will take it to my friendly car hi-fi shop, they're very good and will hopefully help.

Thanks again guys and happy new year :)

James

Well that was easy, took it to the friendly hi-fi shop and they lent me the keys. Man it's easy with the keys, ordered a set while I was there.
Unit is now out by 10mm waiting for me to sort the read issues on saturday :thumb:

Thanks for the help and suggestions

James

Tried giving it a good tug from the back and it wasn't shifting. I cut off two little strips of credit card and slid them in the slots, but this didn't work, due to the lack of those little holes I guess. From looking at a pic of the side of the comand unit, I didn't realise the catch mechanism was that complicated!

Any idea how long that standard tool is? If I know that I may be able to knock one up easily enough. Any idea what the function of the curve at the end is?

You do not need the holes etc. just the round shape at the tip. But be sure you insert the round corner to the correct side, see the text at the figure above.

Just for the sake of reference, you definately do need the holes with a CLK, that's the part which moves the catch and allows you to remove it.
I know there's another very similar set of keys for another benz which doesn't have/need the holes.

Cheers, James

p.s if you intend to clean the laser, the best method I have found is some lighter fuel on a cotton ear bud.

Just for the sake of reference, you definately do need the holes with a CLK, that's the part which moves the catch and allows you to remove it.
I know there's another very similar set of keys for another benz which doesn't have/need the holes.

Cheers, James

Good to know, that is different then from the ones I've seen. So you mean the holes in the middle of the tool are important?

On those devices (radios and HVAC control units etc.) that I've seen, the round end just moves the spring contact from the locking position. The cut at the edge locks the tool so that you can pull the device out with the radio removal tools. A home made tool would not need those if one just pulls from the device but of course if this CLK mechanism is different, then the simple tool does not work.

Yeah, on a CLK the mechanism locks into those two little holes when you slide the tool in, then as you pull out they slide the mechanism up retracting the retainers either side. On a CLK I don't believe the curve actually does anything, I think the tool is supposed to be universal so it works with either system.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom