removing whole lower rear suspension arm w124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

i have a bit of play in my rear lower suspension arm (the main big one).... i have a donor w124.

how easy is it to remove the arm from the car and refit?

can it be done without a spring compressor? i'm scared of w124 springs as i've heard horror stories...

i thought a jack under the arm, loosen the bolts on the end nearest the middle of the car and lower the jack and release the spring? reverse for the refit?

any ideas?

cheers

derek

Much easier to do than the front springs- smaller and shorter for starters. Just make sure you have the car far enough up in the air to let the arm drop far enough- the spring will literally fall out. Use new washers and locking nuts.on the big inner bolt . They used to do an inner repair kit [ bush,bolt washers and nut] don't know if its still available. Can't comment on the outer end sorry.

there is also the roll bar link and damper bolts.

but all doable.

BUT, you say you have play !.

changing this arm will not remove play if it is in the multi-way bush in the bearing housing, which it is likely to be.

That needs a a special tool.

there is also the roll bar link and damper bolts.

but all doable.

BUT, you say you have play !.

changing this arm will not remove play if it is in the multi-way bush in the bearing housing, which it is likely to be.

That needs a a special tool.

if i remove the arm will the bad bush be left in the hub? this is the only reason i want to swap round the arms - i was hoping the bushes are all part of the arm rather than the hub...?

i recently changed both of my rear outer lower bushes.

the special tool i used was a big hammer and a suitably sized socket, both out an new ones back in, undamaged and perfect, in about two hours.

i recently changed both of my rear outer lower bushes.

the special tool i used was a big hammer and a suitably sized socket, both out an new ones back in, undamaged and perfect, in about two hours.

did you use a spring compressor? or did you just use a jack and carefully lower the arm?

cheers

derek

i always just use a jack on the rear for removal and refitting.

i use a spring compressor on the front for removal, but replace just with a jack, i have lowering springs fitted mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom