Removing Wing Mirror Glass on a W204 (C200 Kompressor)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markwightman

Car
C200 Kompressor Estate
I'm trying to replace the indicator light unit in the driver's side wing mirror. I've watched the YouTube videos on how to disassemble the wing mirror and they all make it look like a doddle. For the life of me I cannot get the mirror glass to unclip/pull out. I've tried trim tools, clip tools, and brute force, but it will not budge. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi mark did you tilt the mirror glass downward

youtube usually has videos showing how to do this kind of stuff.

I have covered this in one of my videos: (as found in the forum 'HOW TO' section on the main forum page):

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have covered this in one of my videos: (as found in the forum 'HOW TO' section on the main forum page):

Hi. Yes I watched your video, but that isn't the same model as mine. Yours looks newer. Mine's a C200 Kompressor 2008.

Have you lifted the spring clip at the top edge of the mirror glass.
I've tried but I must be doing something wrong. As far as I can make out there are two plastic clips at about 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock, but I can't get them to unclip. Although I've tilted the mirror back, it doesn't tilt far enough for me to really see what I'm doing.

Hi. Yes I watched your video, but that isn't the same model as mine. Yours looks newer. Mine's a C200 Kompressor 2008.

Exactly the same process, push it forward top corner as far as it will go. The other corner, now get your fingers behind the glass and carefully pull.

Exactly the same process, push it forward top corner as far as it will go. The other corner, now get your fingers behind the glass and carefully pull.
Hi. I watched the video again and did exactly what you did. Looks like you just put your fingers behind the mirror and pop it out. When I try that, the mirror won't budge. No give in it at all. I put a lot of pressure on it, to the point I'm worried it's going to break or damage the motor unit. One thing: you mention inserting the trim tool. And doing what with it? Thanks for your help.

Not read the entire thread, but there is a spring clip on some of them, you just need to lift / release that.

This video illustrates the spring clip. Don’t pull to hard else it’ll crack.

I`ve found the the best way is to slowly reverse into the garage and clip the dooframe with the mirror!!!

Thanks to everyone that made suggestions. I managed to remove the glass at about the twelfth attempt. Turns out I wasn't doing anything stupid, it just took sheer brute force in the end. I reckon some clever person had glued it on at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom