Renault Megan II 1.4 16 v

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Billy albert

Car
2001 C32 AMG
Hi not sure if i am supposed to ask about other cars , if not please delete

My Mates megane is having probs with idle , it cuts out at idle in gear as if the stepper is faulty , but it has a electronic throttle body. He had it recently replaced 4 months ago as was giving the same symptoms.

The codes are saying throttle body again, could it really break again so soon ?

The dealer said would replace under warrantee but if doesnt solve prob they will charge him full labour and for the part.:eek:

If he replaces himself , does it need reprogramming.

Shame it isnt megane 1,would have been simpler.

if anyone has any thoughts id be grateful

Bill

My sons a member of a couple of Renault forums and dirty and failed TDC sensor is a common fault with this engine, but would be better if they could get and ODB2 code reader on to at least point in the right direction. The TDC sensor is worth pulling and cleaning the sensor and connections.

I've been out to quite a few of these with the same symptoms- engine starts fine, and will rev perfectly, but when dropping to idle, they just cut out. A couple of times I've had success with just unplugging and replugging the ECU connector behind the battery- seems the pins corrode up and can cause these issues. Worth a try and its free :) Make sure the ignition is off though. It may take a few minutes of holding at fast idle to relearn and idle on its own.

TDC sensor is common, but usually means the car will not start. Also common is a slightly incorrect setting on the cambelt, will cause the car to cut out at idle when warm.

Thanks for taking time to help , you say behind battery can you remember what plug looks like tiff?

Yes, just pulled out my sons Haynes manual for his Clio not the same year so may not be identical setup but in that the TDC sensor is located on the passenger side where the bell housing joins the engine. From what I can find there are two faults, one is the sensor magnets get clogged the other is that the wire/connectors get contaminated.

Thanks for taking time to help , you say behind battery can you remember what plug looks like tiff?

Its right beside the throttle body- usually 3 plugs with grey clips that unclip und pull the plug out on an eccentric.

Tiff said:
It may take a few minutes of holding at fast idle to relearn and idle on its own.

I remember having to go through this with my sons Clio after pulling the ECU, my first thought was **** what have I broke as the car seemed to rev and rev at 2.5-3k instead of idle. I kept shutting it off in panic but after a call to a friend he said just leave it running and it will eventually settle!

When i had my megane 225 coil packs and injectors were a very regular thing to pack up although wouldnt actually cut out just a really rough idle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom