Renault slash ten models from range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The current Laguna has been a real turkey for Renault. Planned production volumes were 150k per year, the last two years they have produced less than 20k per year. We have business on the car and its been a total flop.

I guess that means the end for the Sandville plant, its where those two models are produced. Renault have been trying to shut it for some years as its outdated, mainly manual assembly instead of robotic, leads to high costs and poor quality.

The current Laguna has been a real turkey for Renault. Planned production volumes were 150k per year, the last two years they have produced less than 20k per year. We have business on the car and its been a total flop.

I guess that means the end for the Sandville plant, its where those two models are produced. Renault have been trying to shut it for some years as its outdated, mainly manual assembly instead of robotic, leads to high costs and poor quality.

Not surprised, its the blandest car since the mk3 Vectra

Complexity on build and complexity on maintenance.

Destined to absolute failure.

Complexity on build and complexity on maintenance.

Destined to absolute failure.

The writing was on the wall a while back.

Nissan pulled out of the sector by dropping the Primera (which shared platforms with the Laguna).

Sales of large family saloons have been squeezed from below by the Megane/Focus sector and from along side by the soft 4x4 and crossover sector and above by the likes of BMW and MB.

This announcement is UK only. I wonder if they're cutting costs by dropping RHD complexity from their lineup.

This announcement is UK only. I wonder if they're cutting costs by dropping RHD complexity from their lineup.

Sorry I missed that, you're right it does say UK. On saying that, the cars are already tooled up for RHD so the cost to produce is no greater than LHD. It would make more sense on cars that have not yet been tooled up.

Maybe its a step towards reducing expectations for next generation models, ie, not to be produced in RHD? Although the less than 20k sales per year is the global production, not just UK.

It probably has more to do with the overheads associated with distributing, marketing and selling cars in a country where the sales volumes do not justify it. Nissan surprised people by dropping the Primera a few years ago in favour of the Qashqai, but it seems to have been a sensible move for them. Perhaps Renault are taking a leaf out of their partner's book.

I like this Reno model...

n2.jpg

n1.jpg

Oh well, never mind. Bye bye Renault. ;)

Last edited:
It probably has more to do with the overheads associated with distributing, marketing and selling cars in a country where the sales volumes do not justify it. Nissan surprised people by dropping the Primera a few years ago in favour of the Qashqai, but it seems to have been a sensible move for them. Perhaps Renault are taking a leaf out of their partner's book.

ISTR that Nissan made a statement about the X-Trail close to matching sales of the Primera around 2005 or 2006 prior to launch of the Qashqai.

They were saying that sector of the market was moving away from traditional large family saloons to people carriers and soft-roaders.

The should keep the model range, but strip the electrics.
frown.gif

I have a Renault, and they managed to overtake the Italians in the 'Dodgy Electrics' category. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom