Renewing a multi car policy, tip!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HotJambalaya

Car
C63
So my renewal from Admiral multi car came in, fairly high.

Went to gocompare and got a quote for each car individually, and the combined price was considerably cheaper then the multi car quote.

Called Admiral back, gave them the quote reference number for each car, and they matched the quote.

Once they had the total, I said "whats the point in this? its 2 separate policies, its supposed to be cheaper with multicar, give me a discount!" Off they went, and came back with a tiny token discount, of about £25, but still not bad considering they were the cheapest to begin with.

Anyway, the breakdown shows the C63 as being £431 to insure for the year, thats in central london, and being a man aged 34. Pretty decent I thought, and cheaper then my road tax!

Lesson? Compare individual prices as well as multicar!

one other thing, if you have home & Car insurance renewals with Aviva, then renew the cheaper renewal first and you will get 20% off the higher one!

why have multi car insurance at all if it can only match the price of doing it seperately?

Anyway, the breakdown shows the C63 as being £431 to insure for the year, thats in central london, and being a man aged 34. Pretty decent I thought, and cheaper then my road tax!

That's very good :thumb:

why have multi car insurance at all if it can only match the price of doing it seperately?

The first year (last year) that I did it, it was cheaper. I think it was a case of luring you in with a cheap first year, then once they have the business, putting the price up in the hope that no one would check.

I told the woman on the phone that I was almost going to go with the next highest quote out of spite (only £12 more) and she babbled that the criteria and gearing on the price comparison sites was different, regardless in my book, its all the same company!

As it stands at the moment, I think that a multi car policy is only good for year 1, then you're well advised to shop it around for 2 separate policies. However, both cars are now still on the same policy, which has the positive of being easy paper work wise, but the negative of having both renewals and my road tax all arriving in one lump at the same time every year.

I think I read from a few posts here that people only saw a benefit to Admiral multicar for 3+ cars, so it might be different the more you get....

My multicar policy from Norton got cheaper on renewal. Mind you I did have six cars on it and the hassle of shopping around for individual quotes for that number really didn't appeal.

I recently did exactly the same thing with Admiral for our cars.

i had multi car policy with footman james and they hicked prices by almost 100% went to the much trusted peter best clssic insurance ho reduced original price i paid by more than 60% fo what i was quoted on car by car policy

best regards

that's a cracking price for insurance... I need to do more shopping around I think but feel the mods are the culprits and the 1 x accident for named driver on the policy

As with all financial products, the provider is always trying to maximise it's own interest - imho, it would appear, from the limited postings, that "multicar" policies are used by certain vehicle insurers to jack up prices quite aggressively. So like everything else its best to shop around at renewal. A friend, who manages a Vehicle Insurance company, says rates have "softened" substantially since the beginning of this year - so if your insurer wants the same as last year, or even a little less, shop around - it's not just the "multicar" boys who want more out of your wallet!!

I did a similar thing last time I renewed in November.

I think they hope you will just presume it is cheapest and make more money out of you - like they all do.

I found Admiral multicar the cheapest by miles for my wife and I for what I believe are two key reasons - 1) we're insuring 4 cars, and 2) for two of those four neither of us had any NCB to use with an individual policy.
I also liked the idea of not having the hassle of searching around for 4 policies but I'll admit we are in our first year with them.

Same for me too, admiral came up trumps and best value by a considerable amount. Customer service and amending policies is easy enough too!

A good tip.
We have multi car with Aviva. Just added another car on with 6 months left to go on the policy. Cost - £17!
Can't complain about that!

I swapped from Admiral to Aviva and the overall cost reduced noticeably, including breakdown and recovery.

I swapped from Admiral to Aviva and the overall cost reduced noticeably, including breakdown and recovery.

Your next post is 30k. Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom