renewing road tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kusanku

Car
A180cdi Avant Garde
My road tax is about to expire. I knew this was coming up, and checked all documents a couple of weeks ago to renew online. At this point, I realised that I had not informed DVLA that I have recently moved, and immediately put the log book in the post for them to amend the address. That was two weeks ago, but it has not come back yet. My question is am I able to get a new tax disc without either the log book or reminder notice (which presumably has gone to my old address)?

If you do it online you should be OK as the dvla will have it all on record.

I always renew mine online saves going out in the rain LOL.:bannana:

Ring DVLA as if you buy tax online it may go to old address so check they have updated address details!

EDIT: I do believe you might need the tax form renewal code to buy online? OR some code thing from your log book? Someone else may know better!

I agree online is the easiest way to do things, but I cannot do so unless I am certain they have updated the address. Do I not also need to enter a number from the registration document, which I do not currently have?

Is it possible to ring DVLA? I tried once before, and just got an endless list of automated options. I never did arrive at the option to actually speak to someone. Unfortunately, I've had this problem before, as I've changed address seven times in the last three years.

Sorry yes you will need the code number that came with the reminder

Emergency over as log book arrived in the post this afternoon, and I renewed online without further stress.

Glad you got it sorted! Such a hassle isn't it! :( I hate car tax!

It's that time of the year for me too. Just renewed for another 12 months.
Thieving ........!

The thing that winds me up the most about all this tax is that they generate around £40 billion from road users and only re-invest around £7 billion in the road network. The rest goes on wasters!

Grrr - it does make my blood boil. :mad:

<Rant Over />

It's that time of the year for me too. Just renewed for another 12 months.
Thieving ........!

The thing that winds me up the most about all this tax is that they generate around £40 billion from road users and only re-invest around £7 billion in the road network. The rest goes on wasters!

Grrr - it does make my blood boil. :mad:

<Rant Over />

Too right, all the roads I drive on most are in an apalling state.

The other day there was some roadworks by where I live, I wondered if they were resurfacing, but no it turns out they were extending the pavement!? :mad:

While my poor old W124 has to crash over small mountain ranges in the road, Pedestrians (who don't pay road tax) get lovely fresh tarmac to tread on :mad:

Last edited:
While my poor old W124 has to crash over small mountain ranges in the road, Pedestrians (who don't pay road tax) get lovely fresh tarmac to tread on :mad:

Yes - but cars don't sue...

You couldn't make it up even if you tried! :crazy:

Too right, all the roads I drive on most are in an apalling state.

The other day there was some roadworks by where I live, I wondered if they were resurfacing, but no it turns out they were extending the pavement!? :mad:

Lol.

Its the special cycle lanes that really irk me. Whole new tracks are built out of local authority and government money for these cycle lanes to be built.

But

1. Cyclists don't use them because they're poorly made
2. The road space could have either been widened.Cars ain't getting smaller
3. The existing roads are in an appalling state and instead of resurfacing them properly they are just meagrely patched. The money could be spent so much better, and BOTH car users and cyclists as they don't use the tracks would benefit.
4. Cyclists as a group don't pay any duty on their bike for use of the road space so should be the last "road user" group to be considered anyway. Cyclists try to cleverly counter this argument by saying they also own a car and pay VED, but VED is paid PER CAR NOT PER PERSON.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom