Rent a car in Italy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ivandraganov

Hi everyone,any recommendations and advice for renting a car in Italy,would be greatly appreciated...

Hi I've hired a basic car in Florence a few times, think it was a small fiat, i blended in ok,
take out extra insurance might be a good idea.
rules. drive fast, park anywhere including pavements. i loved it....

economycarhire.com have zero excess or reimbursement included in the price and a second driver. Autoeurope offer similar deals. If you are in any city and especially those with a historic centre look out for the ZTL zone. Only allowed in with a permit and transgressors will be fined and the hire company adds a huge administration fee. Likewise for speeding tickets. The cameras come in various guises from a drab nondescript grey to bright orange.
Automatics in any shape or form tend to be very pricey. Small manual hatchbacks pretty cheap

Keep to the speed limits,take a satnav with the speed limits on the screen,watch out for the Italian bike cops they set up road blocks,and you get crazy driving when that happens,because there are lots of cars and trucks in Italy with no insurance so you get speed U turns into oncoming traffic it can get dangerous,hire cars stick out a mile in Italy and can be targeted pick something small ,you will also see on the duel carriage roads the only time Italian drivers show us Brits how to drive when there is a road restriction,they drive on the two lanes and then at speed go one for one into the road ups or what ever,none of that nonsense of two slow moving lines of traffic with people not giving way,best of luck.

Keen to follow this myself as hiring a car to drive around the North of Italy at the end of May. Bit apprehensive having never driven abroad before lol
Hoping it should be okay though!
Will keep an eye on this thread though

Keen to follow this myself as hiring a car to drive around the North of Italy at the end of May. Bit apprehensive having never driven abroad before lol

The north of Italy is really no different to the UK (except perhaps Milan) It gets worse further south but even then its not as bad as everyone makes out. Keep your wits about you. Expect the unexpected and you will be fine.
Dont be tempted to stop at a pedestrian crossing unless there is definitely no one behind you. Thats when you are most likely to get hit. The pedestrians know no one stops and work on that assumption.

On motorways or dual carriageways get back to the nearside lane as soon as you can. Lane hogging is not tolerated at all. They will literally sit inches behind you if you dont move back quickly.

Last edited:
Quality of cars can vary widely; I always rent from one of the big names (except Avis) but one year I went to Bologna and got given a Lancia Ypsilon with 80,000 Km on the clock and dents in every panel. The next year at Pisa I got a brand new Fiat 500 that literally just been driven off the delivery truck. Luck of the draw..

Cheers,

Gaz

As others said, stick to the big names like Avis, Hertz, Sixt, Europcar or the local jewel Maggiore and you will be all right.
Based on personal experience I would avoid Advantage Rent a Car like plague, as their cars are generally full of dents and scratches. Sicily by Car also have a bad reputation for hidden charges and last minute surprises, but are definitely very cheap.

If you are not flying to a major airport like (FCO, MXP, BLQ, etc.) please check the opening times of the local branch of your selected car rental provider, as some tend to close early (22:00 / 24:00 CET).

Buon viaggio!

Generally drivers are a bit more unforgiving than in the UK, but do not take it personally.

BMW and Audi drivers in particular tend to drive fast, ignore the use of indicators and tend to stick to your rear bumper until you move away.

Very important motorway rule: if the driver behind you flashes at you (either when you are on the fast lane or have indicated that you would like to move to a faster lane) that means literally "get out of my way / I will not let you through", which is more or less the opposite of what happens in the UK.

Enjoy your holiday!

Booked through economycarhire.com as colleague recommended it too.A bit concerned that is through Sicily by car...it's a golf estate diesel which isn't avail with the others..

Last edited:
We have used Sicily by Car many times - never had a problem. Economycarhire are very helpful if there are issues.

It all went smoothly,was worried a little.We visited Verona,Firenze and Venezia.Italy is such a nice country.Love the wine,the food,the country and the people.Highly recommend Venezia for the ones haven't been yet..PS don't go through Telepass booths,U won't get a ticket,and then have to pay for the whole strech of the motorway...

Attachments

• image-683986839.jpg
    image-683986839.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 9
  • image-1265995639.jpg
    image-1265995639.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 9
  • image-1856642194.jpg
    image-1856642194.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 9
  • image-3475477460.jpg
    image-3475477460.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Lots of peeps caught out by the ones in Pisa and Bologna and even smaller towns like Asti.

Lots of tips here:

The ZTL - Avoid Restricted Traffic Zones & Fines in Italy - Italy Perfect Travel Blog

Top tips for car rentals and driving in Italy

Thanks for these links and wise words. I'll be in Lucca next month, staying within the ZTL in a hotel with on-site parking. But I've learned that the hotel will tell the police about their guests' cars if they have the licence number. So I'll be onto giving them that info soon....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom