1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rental Car Annual Excess Insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance & Finance' started by st13phil, Mar 19, 2017.

1. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Diamond White W212 E63 Biturbo with Night Package / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    Can anyone recommend a good annual insurance policy covering rental car collision and theft excesses, please?

As expected, Google turns up a number of options, but personal recommendation of a provider / policy would be appreciated.

2. Red C220

Red C220 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2015 SL400 : 2017 S6 Avant
    If you have an AMEX charge card check the terms, they often cover all excesses when you use the card to pay.

Mine comes with a complete rental car insurance policy if you use one of the associated rental firms which are all the big names. So I don't have to take any insurance cover out when I rent a car. It also has a comprehensive worldwide travel insurance cover. Those two things alone cover the annual fee for us by quite a margin.

When your wife/partner is an additional card holder, the cover also extends to them.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. ShinyF1

ShinyF1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W210 2000 E320 CDI A/G Estate, 145k miles
    I've used two companies so far, but not had to claim with either, so cannot comment on how good they are.

Direct Car Excess Insurance and Worldwide Travel Insurance.

All similar on cost for an annual policy

1 person likes this.
  4. Primo

Primo Hardcore MB Enthusiast

I've used insurance4carhire, but liked others have not had to claim.

However, as an insurance professional I always read the policy document before buying to ensure that the wording meets my needs.

e.g. In North America last year we rented large 4x4s and the wording excluded off road use. Does off road mean unmade? Not necessarily. I had to phone them to make sure that an unmade road was not deemed offroad if it featured on my satnav - the road to San Josef Bay at the northern end of Vancouver Island is pretty rough over about 60km but is mapped.

These policies are often not well written and I would advise caution.

2 people like this.
  5. Smart320

Smart320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 ML350cdi Sport , Toyota RAV4 3 dr
    Also used insurance4carhire, 3 years running, also never had to claim but found them very efficient at answering queries re the cover, also not expensive, saved a fortune by not needing to take extra car hire insurance on extortionate daily rate.

1 person likes this.
  6. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLK55, Audi A8
    I use icarhireinsurance and had a claim couple of years ago. It was settled in 2-3 weeks, nothing major, maybe £80. Rental company charged me for non-existing damage, typical scam.

The policy says that they don't cover trucks so make sure you don't rent one in USA. I noticed it on my last day of truck rental. Have to query it with them what's exact definition of truck, whether it only applies to commercial vehicles or pickup type car too. I enjoyed driving big pickup and would be happy to rent it again in Alaska.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. vijilants

vijilants Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C320CDI Sport W204
    I use Questor Insurance....worldwide cover.....£50.12 per anum.

1 person likes this.
  8. JDL60

JDL60 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E63 AMG 5.5 V8 biturbo
    Like Penelope I've just signed up with icar hire £40 for a years cover although I've just noticed thats Europe only! Doh
    I'll change it to worldwide

1 person likes this.
  9. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0 M-Sport & BMW 120d Sport Plus Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8 SE (sorry, guys)
    I use AXA - bought through Holiday Autos.

One claim last year - hit while parked, damage to bumper only - and once I had all the documents uploaded the payout was fairly quick and paid in full.

Unmade roads ("grid" roads in Canada) are not covered AFAIK

1 person likes this.