Rental Car Annual Excess Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Can anyone recommend a good annual insurance policy covering rental car collision and theft excesses, please?

As expected, Google turns up a number of options, but personal recommendation of a provider / policy would be appreciated.

If you have an AMEX charge card check the terms, they often cover all excesses when you use the card to pay.

Mine comes with a complete rental car insurance policy if you use one of the associated rental firms which are all the big names. So I don't have to take any insurance cover out when I rent a car. It also has a comprehensive worldwide travel insurance cover. Those two things alone cover the annual fee for us by quite a margin.

When your wife/partner is an additional card holder, the cover also extends to them.

Last edited:
I've used two companies so far, but not had to claim with either, so cannot comment on how good they are.

Direct Car Excess Insurance and Worldwide Travel Insurance.

All similar on cost for an annual policy

I've used insurance4carhire, but liked others have not had to claim.

However, as an insurance professional I always read the policy document before buying to ensure that the wording meets my needs.

e.g. In North America last year we rented large 4x4s and the wording excluded off road use. Does off road mean unmade? Not necessarily. I had to phone them to make sure that an unmade road was not deemed offroad if it featured on my satnav - the road to San Josef Bay at the northern end of Vancouver Island is pretty rough over about 60km but is mapped.

These policies are often not well written and I would advise caution.

Also used insurance4carhire, 3 years running, also never had to claim but found them very efficient at answering queries re the cover, also not expensive, saved a fortune by not needing to take extra car hire insurance on extortionate daily rate.

I use icarhireinsurance and had a claim couple of years ago. It was settled in 2-3 weeks, nothing major, maybe £80. Rental company charged me for non-existing damage, typical scam.

The policy says that they don't cover trucks so make sure you don't rent one in USA. I noticed it on my last day of truck rental. Have to query it with them what's exact definition of truck, whether it only applies to commercial vehicles or pickup type car too. I enjoyed driving big pickup and would be happy to rent it again in Alaska.

Last edited:
I use Questor Insurance....worldwide cover.....£50.12 per anum.

Like Penelope I've just signed up with icar hire £40 for a years cover although I've just noticed thats Europe only! Doh
I'll change it to worldwide

I use AXA - bought through Holiday Autos.

One claim last year - hit while parked, damage to bumper only - and once I had all the documents uploaded the payout was fairly quick and paid in full.

Unmade roads ("grid" roads in Canada) are not covered AFAIK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom