Rental car safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
I rented a big Citroen Jumper 9 seater for a couple of weeks in summer and had a bit of a worrying moment on the motorway when braking reasonably hard as the traffic came to an abrupt halt.

On inspecting the brakes I found the front disks were cracked (see below).

The rental company are still maintaining that the brakes were serviceable and not in a dangerous condition.

What does the panel think of the condition of the brakes based on the below picture?

Attachments

• 2014-08-16 12.59.24.jpg
    2014-08-16 12.59.24.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 119
I rented a big Citroen Jumper 9 seater for a couple of weeks in summer and had a bit of a worrying moment on the motorway when braking reasonably hard as the traffic came to an abrupt halt.

On inspecting the brakes I found the front disks were cracked (see below).

The rental company are still maintaining that the brakes were serviceable and not in a dangerous condition.

What does the panel think of the condition of the brakes based on the below picture?

Would that have passed an MOT? I think not, ergo unsafe.

My issue with this rental experience is that by the time I noticed the cracks, I was a 7 hour drive away from the rental depot and in another country with the extended family on a small island.

I couldnt return the van (they were unwilling to send a driver to me with a replacement) and it meant that I barely used it for the two weeks I had it, fearing its safety and knowing I still had a 7 hour return drive ahead of me (at the end of the rental) that I was now going to have to do at a much reduced speed, all the while fearing the consequences of the disk disintegrating further.

The rental company is being completely unsympathetic to this, claiming the brakes were safe and if I didn't thinks so, why didn't I just return the van and swap it for another. No apology, no offer of any compensation or refund other than a miserly discount of any future rental I might make.

I've been quite reasonable to date in the correspondence but am thinking of stepping it up a notch now as I am just being fobbed off.

Given it is one of the major rental companies, I'm tempted to write instead via twitter to see if I get the same cold shoulder response.

I wouldn't hesitate to do twitter.

Those brakes are bloody dangerous!

Yep but that on twitter with details of the company/branch etc and you will get a reply sharpish + a refund I'd imagine

Agree with all the above. That is seriously dangerous and not acceptable on any vehicle, but especially a large, heavy passenger vehicle!!

A friend had an issue with B & Q recently and posted to their facebook page and still got fobbed off so we all reposted it and the issue was sorted within 24 hours.

Are the rental company members of the bvrla? If so, raise a complaint with them. I'd also take it up with VOSA who will undoubtedly take a dim view of a vehicle being rented in that condition.

Are the rental company members of the bvrla? If so, raise a complaint with them. I'd also take it up with VOSA who will undoubtedly take a dim view of a vehicle being rented in that condition.

Unless He was about 1000 miles off course, I wouldn't think BVRLA would do him much good, nor would a UK MOT...Different countries, different prices and standards.

The best course of action would be to recall the payment via either the Credit or Debit card provider.

Last edited:
Unless He was about 1000 miles off course
:doh:

I'd assumed the rental had started in the UK :eek:

If it was rented overseas, then I agree - initiate a card chargeback on the basis that the goods / service wasn't supplied.

Last edited:
First time I rented a bike was a Honda C50 on a small Greek island. It had obviously been in a collision as the frame was twisted, the front brake lever snapped off and the back brakes were down to the metal.
It was the first time Mrs DM had been on a bike but that didn't stop our intrepid adventure into the mountains...where we got chased at speed down a very rough, boulder track by some very savage dogs.

I was more bothered by the sunburn than the state of the bike...

I had a Vauxhall Omega many years ago from Avis. It was a 3litre so I was obliged to try the 0-60 off the lights. Mother drivers airbag fell out the steering wheel and landed in my lap.

From a safety point of view they were not bothered, sent me a new car and that was that.

The days before twitter etc.

S

I had a Vauxhall Omega many years ago from Avis. It was a 3litre so I was obliged to try the 0-60 off the lights. Mother drivers airbag fell out the steering wheel and landed in my lap.

From a safety point of view they were not bothered, sent me a new car and that was that.

The days before twitter etc.

S

I once had three cars in four working days from Avis, each failing on a safety item.
New Mondeo, windscreen had a blur in it right in drivers sight, New Vectra SRi, no foglights working, which was not good in dense fog at 6:00am, New Vectra SRi, key head came off leaving blade in lock.

I don't think checking their cars was high on the list of things to do.

Little sympathy really, you should have inspected the vehicle more closely before you accepted it. If you can see the cracks through the wheel well enough to photograph them well... I doubt if you were spot-checked by VOSA that they would've let you continue your journey. You're happy to do a 7 hour journey with defective brakes. I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

Little sympathy really, you should have inspected the vehicle more closely before you accepted it. If you can see the cracks through the wheel well enough to photograph them well... I doubt if you were spot-checked by VOSA that they would've let you continue your journey. You're happy to do a 7 hour journey with defective brakes. I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

I'll remember next time I rent a car to take along my trolley jack and full tool kit to properly inspect the vehicle before I accept it...

I wonder what the small print says if their vehicle is found to be defective while on hire and seized by the local plod as unsafe? Would they be obliged to provide a replacement vehicle ASAP, or do they say it is YOUR responsibility to ensure the vehicle is in a safe condition?

If the former I think I would be tempted to be bloody minded and take the van to the local plod and point out the disc condition and hope they realise what your trying to do.

There be trolls...

I actually looked at the brakes a few times before the wheel was rotated in such a way that the crack was visible.

The rental was in Slovenia but I was on an island just off Split in Dalmatia by the time I spotted the issue.

Last edited:
I actually looked at the brakes a few times before the wheel was rotated in such a way that the crack was visible.

The rental was in Slovenia but I was on an island just off Split in Dalmatia by the time I spotted the issue.

Dear dear dear dear me. You mean you didn't pack the Sonic/UV/X-ray/Bluetooth/MRI brake disc scanner. Shame on you, they'll be a troll along shortly to berate you :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom