Renting out some garden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
Dear all,

The house next door to me has been bought by a property developer with the intention of building an apartment block.

The house has been demolished and they are now pouring the footings.

In the build phase, it looks very possible they will need to put some of their scaffolding standards on my land.

Any idea what the going rate is for "rental" in these circumstances please chaps.?

If it was a family building a home, then a bottle of Scotch would do - but as it's a developer....

Thanks

Remember, whatever price you first choose to give them, you can always come down, but not up.
So, with that in mind I would estimate how much they REALLY need to to use your land.
If they HAVE to and there is no alternative then you have them over a barrel. If however, its just makes their job a bit easier, then you cant be too greedy.
If it was me, I would want a legally binding contract with no time limit. So if the scaffolding is up for say, 3 years, then that's what you get paid for.
This must be a reasonably common occurrence and a good solicitor would be much more likely to give you a better idea.

Don't forget to include restoration of your land to how it was before they used it. ....

I'd ask for just enough to extract the urine. Ask how many weeks it will sit there and do a fee per week. That way when it overruns you can continue to reap the rewards. If it sat there for two years and you were paid a one off fee, you might feel hard done by. Of course, that would need to be a written agreement. The rate I can't help with I'm afraid

dunno
a case of decent single malts
and a promise not to annoy you or leave any mess?

Hells teeth - what a forum.

20 minutes later and some food for thought already.

I reckon he will definately need to use my land as he is building very close to the property boundary and he has a lot less than 1.0 metre in which to make his landings.

I'll go and photograph it this evening when the men have gone home.

Thanks chaps

Slightly different but interesting nonetheless....I once had to organise some security gating for a building site in East London where the scheme (a 300 flat residential plan) had been put under by the irish bank. The bloke who had big gates in situ, and was owed 3K in rental fees, came down that night to take them away before I could speak with him as the bank where being criminally slow in dealing with him.

As a result I had to put 2x security guards there all night (cost the 3k that he was owed), and then another 1k then next day to cover the fly tipping. Eventually he returned the gates at double the weekly rent as it would have taken 10 days to get some fitted by another party as it was an awkward aperture.

If there is no other option but to use your land, it will cost them a lot lot lot more to work around it. The developers profit on construction alone will be 15%+ so, working backwards from e.g. 20 x 250k flats you should have a rough idea what his development profits are and then see how small your number will seem as a result.

MY view - look at his alternatives, ask him to look at them too and then come back to you if there is no other option for him. Do it all friendly in a manner of 'i suppose you can use my land, but i would rather you didnt, but if you must i will be able to live with it...'. Then charge him weekly a decent figure - renting scaffolding isn't cheap so I would almost look at the cost of it and charge him 5% of the weekly cost.

I agree lets stitch up the greedy developer.

The guy who takes all that risk so he can greedily pocket a profit.

The guy who provides employment for all those trades in difficult times.
The guy who lies awake at night wondering will they sell, will they be finished, will the bank not renege on the deal.
The guy who has probably put every thing on the line.
The guy who must carry a supply of salt and vinegar for all those chips.

Yes let's stitch the greedy barsteward.

Or, heaven forfend, be reasonable and thank God someone is prepared to take such risks.

How close is the new building to your own property? Depending on the actual distance you 'may' have a Party Wall situation that should be dealt with by a Party Wall award and would include access to your land. Just a thought which you may have already considered bearing in mind that the foundations are being constructed.

How close is the new building to your own property? Depending on the actual distance you 'may' have a Party Wall situation that should be dealt with by a Party Wall award and would include access to your land. Just a thought which you may have already considered bearing in mind that the foundations are being constructed.

The wall will be about 1 metre from the boundary.

The guy who lies awake at night wondering will they sell, will they be finished, will the bank not renege on the deal.

Or, heaven forfend, be reasonable and thank God someone is prepared to take such risks.
At last! Something we agree on ;)

Why not - let us once again underpin the market with LTV of 90%, with lending of 75% of GDV and uneconomically sound low interest rates to already discourage an extravagantly spending nation away from saving!

More importantly, if there is an access and building issue it is because said developer is trying to squeeze the pips out of the site and is therefore already being a bit greedy himself and will not, I am sure, miss a couple of thousand quid when he is sat at home counting his 15% dev margin, 15% construction margin and considering selling on the freehold or refinancing to totally de-risk himself, before no doubt pouring the equity into another development so to create significant paper wealth (whilst no doubt driving a brand new CL500 that he pays very little on, lunching hard with no VAT impingement etc) that will be underwritten in part by us if there is a second dip.

I am by no means generalising, but I have dealt with nearly a 100 of these in the last 3 years.....

This seems to be generating a bit of unexpected debate.

The story...

The original plan was for a building with 7 apartments. Bearing in mind there is my bungalow on one side and a small 3 bed detached on the other.

Basically garden grabbing as we all have big gardens

There is no car parking space for more than 3 cars.

After a few council planning meetings, the building will now only have 3 apartments - but is the same footprint and height. After approval for the 3 was gained he went back for 4. Council threw it out mainly on the parking issue - we live on a busy road and it is dead opposite a junction

I'm not out to stitch up a greedy developer - personally I think the building is out of scale with the rest in the road and be honest, initially 7 apartments?! That would be potentially 14 neighbours (plus visitors) with no car parking. Who would fancy that next door?

If he wants to make a few bob, then why shouldn't I? I will have the noise, dust and general building chaos to endure for the summer months.

Mind you, with only 3 rentals now I can't see the economics.

£250K for the plot, demolition & re-build, then insurance, cleaning, gardeners, communal lighting, etc.

Have a look at Access to Neighboring Land Act, and Party Wall Act. No time to stop now unfortunately...

We have a party wall surveyor sorted out, he's a friend of the folk on the other side.

He's not long submitted his tome. THUD!

His footings (in places) are less than 1.0 metres to the boundary fence, with about 1.8 metres to my closest building wall

We used to live next to a complete sh*t who tried to bluster his way into us allowing him access across our garden (in terms excavators, dump trucks etc) in order to build an extension because he had stupidly sold off a large chunk of his land for infill development.

That was much against our wishes and he had been so greedy that he had effectively reduced his sole vehicular access to a long and narrow driveway that was now sandwiched between the new builds and a row of trees all with TPO's.

No other practicable access at all other than over my garden. Having told him to wait until Hell froze over, started threatening legal action under the Access to Lands Act.

Complete BS, because the act only applies to "preservation" of an existing structure, not new developments or extensions.

His footings (in places) are less than 1.0 metres to the boundary fence, with about 1.8 metres to my closest building wall

So you have a Party Wall situation and a Surveyor dealing with the Award. I assume that the facility to use your land for scaffolding access is written into the Award already then particularly as he has already commenced construction or am I missing sommat here? :dk:

The wall will be about 1 metre from the boundary.

I think its entirely reasonable that Palfrem should charge rent if his land is used by another party to make a commercial gain.

He's having to put up with the noise, parking nightmare and general upheavel.

I not sure if it's in how you type things but you often come across as quite confrontational - quite often with no good reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom