Renting - think it's easy, think again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
I have a smart three bed terraced property on a quiet tree lined avenue, which has been rented to the same lady since 2007.

She's a great tenant.

The house next door changed hands in 2010, after the old lady owner died.

You may recall a thread I posted about it, after it turned out to have been converted into cannabis factory.

During a raid, the cannabis growing tenant was taken away by police and for a short while the house was empty.

Next, a young lad arrived - both the front and the rear gardens became quickly overgrown and there was much coming and going of many young people at all hours.

One morning, a couple of months into his tenancy, my tenant noticed that "Get Out" had been painted across the front door. Soon after, the property was empty again.

Next to arrive was a young couple who brought two staffie type dogs, The dogs barked when the owners were out, and kept getting through the hedge into my tenant's garden, bringing bones, tin cans and of course, dog mess.
My tenant was scared too go out into her own garden, having been confronted by the dogs on one occasion.
She approached me and I approached the young couple, asking them to sort the dogs out. They didn't, but shortly afterwards, the house was empty again.

Last week I got another call from my wonderful tenant, to say that there was now a very young girl living there, who has been entertaining groups of teenagers day and night. Three times recently she has been partying and playing music until around 4am.

So, that's four lots of undesirable tenants in about 15 months.

In an attempt to help my tenant (and therefore me, of course) I managed to involve a city council department, after being passed from the Public Health team to the ASBO team, to the Private Tenancy team, before arriving at the Community Safety team.

The officer contacted the landlord of the property, only to be told that he had "contracted out" the property to an organisation responsible for finding accommodation for ex offenders, asylum seekers, and young people coming out of care :eek:.

I asked what pressure could be brought upon the landlord to up his game, and was told "none".

The only route in the event of further problems is for my tenant to complain to the managing care provider, who, apparently, are good at dealing with problems.

However, to do that I have to explain to my tenant about the property being contracted out to a particular tenant type - at which point she will probably leave (who wouldn't)?

Now, you can (and probably will) call me a NIMBY, and you'd be right.

I have a lovely house, in a lovely street, with a lovely tenant (until she decides to move on based upon the recent neighbours), but it may become blighted while next door is owned by the landlord who doesn't seem to give a sh*t, provided he gets the DSS payments (which are higher for this type of tenant).

This renting is easy, roight?

Not always............

Last edited:
Urgh, that sounds awful John. Luckily I've had a fairly easy life as a Landlord, I dread being in a similar situation :(

I guess the only option is to get onto the Council's anti-noise number at every justifiable opportunity. This will create a log of the problem and might just cause the Council to act.

Thanks Pete,

The dilema I have is to get her to tell me each time there's a problem, so I can report things to the care provider, without me telling her how I'm trying to fix it.

I'm sure once she hears ex offender, asylum seeker, out of care, she'll go.

That's if she stays around long enough to tell me.

Might sound crazy but if your tennant leaves, why dont you contract out to the same people... You say they pay more!

Good to hear the government are using my money to fund accommodation in a nice tree lined street (plus beer, cigs and drugs) for ASBOs, "ex"-offenders and the like who in turn treat the place and their neighbours badly and make their lives hell.

Meanwhile many of my hard working, bright and caring contemporaries with good degrees and huge student debts are still renting shared flats.

Time these idiot politicians got a grip with this sort of thing.

On a practical note - how about finding out who this landlord is, buying the house next to him and getting this agency to populate it with a scumbag. That would be a good form of justice for your tenant.

:devil:

There are a few possibilities:

I do know the landlord and spoke to him at the time of the cannabis factory - he was pleasant, but non commital, so I suspect he won't be interested in my concerns.

I could buy it off him and return it to normality.

I could sell him mine.

Regarding letting mine to the same organisation, I've seen some of the previous damage caused, which would far outweigh the financial gains of enhanced payments.

My immediate problem is losing a good tenant and being unable to retain future tenants, in what may become a blighted property.

Short term I am going to continue to get involved in any problems (which I tend to do anyway) and try to deal with the care providers (who, I'm told, are supposed to act promptly with issues) as I'm told there are allocated care workers for the tenants. The trick is to shield my tenant from the knowledge that property is being let to this client base - tricky.

I shall keep a log of present/future events with a view to pressuring the owner/carers to take their business elsewhere.

Not easy.......

Last edited:
poor woman.

I think you should tell her.
At least it will start to make sense and she can move or manage her expectations.

I can see why you don't want to though.

poor woman.

I think you should tell her.
At least it will start to make sense and she can move or manage her expectations.

I can see why you don't want to though.

I suspect that she may already know and, if not, she will be aware very soon. News like that soon spreads amongst the neighbours on a street.

It's bound to come out over time - she knows there's been a high turnover of tenants, but it took the council man a while to get to the people placing the tenants. She would only have to ask one of the occupants.

I knew the landord's whereabouts, who passed the council official to his managing estate agent, who then passed him to the care providers placing the tenants.

He was able to use his postion in the council to get the required info.

To the other neighbours the landlord is unknown and noticeable by his absence, as some are.

I can only hope it's a temporary arrangement that concludes before she decides enough is enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom