Repacement Keys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACK

Car
230TE MINI Cooper S
I have just picked up a '92 W124 and only got one ignition key. (as ever the guy is looking for the others...)

Do I need to get an extra one from an MB dealer or do the normal key cutting places do them?

MB dealer, and you will need all sorts of ID and documentation to say you own the car!

AND they aint cheap!

Thanks

Think I will give matey boy a bit of a hurry up on the "spare set":devil:

If it's a key like this
key.jpg

A new cute key with the chrome star on it is £54.71 inclusive. Not too bad really.

I had to pay an extra £24.68 on top of that to cancel a stolen ignition key:mad:

No it is just an old fashioned key.

No batteries/flashing LEDs/flicknife action............

Just a key-quaint really

key cutting

i have same problem - only one key. went to my local locksmith where my friends have got there mercedes keys done £9 each, unfortuanaty mine is too worn to be held securely in the machine i was informed so god knows what il do either shackle myself to it so i don't lose it or perhaps more usefully ask the mercedes dealership what needs to be done

Originally posted by ACK
All sorted

£6.99 at local key cutters;)

Keep in mind that "aftermarket" keys tend to wear out the locks much faster..

I had problems with both the doorlock as well as the ignition lock on my car - in the end neither worked. When I tried to use a genuine key (the only one I had) instead of the one I had cut later I managed to squeeze a couple of months more out of them. I have now replaced all the locks with a complete new from Mercedes lock-set which was only 50% more expensive than ONE lock made for my car from Mercedes.

Mr

I am looking for a replacement key for my car as shown.
If it's a key like this
key.jpg

A new cute key with the chrome star on it is £54.71 inclusive. Not too bad really.

I had to pay an extra £24.68 on top of that to cancel a stolen ignition key:mad:

Only available from the main dealer. You will need proof of ID and the V5C. Dont be tempted by the ones on ebay. They cannot be reprogrammed despite what they might tell you.

Main Dealer About £200
Requires Log book ,passport and I think a utility bill

For what its worth theres a guy on fleebay that can code keys for Mercs as long as you still have one key present. Personally I wouldn't want anybody apart from MB to have a copy of my car key.

For what its worth theres a guy on fleebay that can code keys for Mercs as long as you still have one key present. Personally I wouldn't want anybody apart from MB to have a copy of my car key.

I think your find that he cant

I think your find that he cant

Depends on the guy and the tools and how much access to the car you allow (read circuits from EIS etc.). I would not encourage owners to use these services but owners should not close their eyes on this approach.

For an early car they are only less than a tenner each from the dealer.... Work first time too.

Standard keys for a W124 are £21 these days - used to be £11 for ages , but a price rise a couple of years back doubled it to that outrageous level .

Standard keys for a W124 are £21 these days - used to be £11 for ages , but a price rise a couple of years back doubled it to that outrageous level .
That's just upsetting me, I've got to buy another soon as I only have one. Been putting it off as I'm not keen on parting nearly £200 for a key /

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom