Repair a W201 AMG body kit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob77

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 W201 2.6 Sportline; 2011 S204 C350 CDI Sport; 1978 Foale/Suzuki GS750; 1994 Aprilia Pegaso 650
I've finally picked up a Gen 2 body kit for my 190E.

Some of the parts have cracking and some of the fixings and brackets are rusted or not present.

Does anyone have an exploded diagram for the front and back bumpers and skirts, with the fixings and part numbers shown?

Also, is there a recommended method for repairing the cracks, e.g. plastic welding and a recommended place to do it?

I was thinking it might be easiest to list out the fixings/brackets needed and buy them from a dealer. Then hand the cracked parts to someone to repair and prime coat the cracked parts. I could then hand the repaired parts and new fixings to a local body shop to apply the finishing coats and fit it all to the car.

I can't help with the list but cracked plastic can be fixed easy by mentioned method.
Actually I wouldn't call it - plastic welding. It's being done by a special powerfull heater which melts cracked sides (cleaned properly before that) then a plastic rod/filler is applied through the nozzle of that heater tool.

Unfortunately early AMG plastics don't weld very well. I've found the 2-part resin systems with the fibre reinforcement patches to be very successful though.

It's sometime ago now (years) but I repaired an old front splitter which was badly cracked with a piece missing as I simply couldn't get a replacement. I used a thin slip of alloy, placed at the back held by a few self tappers. The screws were over long and ran them all the way through and then cut them. A touch of an angle grinder had then sitting 1mm below the splitter. Then filled and sanded. Not the most elegant repair but not visible and it held together without any issues.

The same method can be used to fit mounting brackets too.

Many thanks everyone. I'll cast around for a local body shop and discuss these ideas with them. The cracks aren't bad and there aren't many so shouldn't be a big issue.

Doesn't anyone have a link to the part numbers for the fixings though?

If not, I'll head round to the dealers and see if they can identify the parts and order them up.

I think on the Gen 2 bumpers the fittings are per standard facelift w201's bumpers. Only the outer shell and towing eye cover are HWA part nos.

I think on the Gen 2 bumpers the fittings are per standard facelift w201's bumpers. Only the outer shell and towing eye cover are HWA part nos.

That would make sense, thanks. So, I'll check with the dealer what bolts and clips I'll need for the bumpers and skirts.

Ok, here's another question but related so I wont start a new thread.

What colours should I go for?

My car's pearl grey metallic. I will do the bumpers, ducktail, skirts and cladding in body colour.

But what the bumper inserts and radiator grille? Is there a rule to follow?

I was thinking to paint the grill surround and chrome radiator strips body colour and the grill insert satin black.

But what about the bumper inserts. Should I leave as is (matt black) or paint body colour or satin black. Same for the star - chrome or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom