Repair or Replace ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wacko74

Car
ML 300
Afternoon all

So with a simple momentary lapse of concentration I bumped the ML :doh:
Nobody hurt just hit the back corner of a van at very low speed
Paid for the van to get repaired but its left me with a 2" crease just above the front edge of the bonnet and a cracked front grill

Now the question is do I get the bonnet filled and re-sprayed or do I just try to find a replacement bonnet from a breakers and just scrap the old one
And do I buy a new grill and maybe update the look of the front end with a vertical look grill off the bay
Your thought would be appreciated (not on how stupid I must have felt tho ;))

Had a similar issue with the bonnet a few years back.... buying second hand doesn't save much as it will still need to be prepared and resprayed anyway. Buying a second hand bonnet in the same colour, and in perfect paint condition might not be easy... and even so, the second hand bonnet paint may have faded differently so might not blend with the rest of your car. Just get a good bodyshop to sort out your bonnet.

I think I would be inclined to find out the cost difference before making the decision, if a good bodyshop can sort your bonnet out for ,say, £400 all in but a new replacement bonnet supplied and fitted and sprayed was £1400 then that would certainly help me to make my choice !

Thanks for the replies guys
Anyone know of any decent Merc breakers

Whereabouts in the UK are you?

I've had good luck so far with Prestige AllParts in Oldham - I've only bought mechanical parts so far but presume they do body panels too.
Their phone number is 01706 849892. Might be worth a try.

Thanks for the information
I will give them a call tomorrow

Have had a same experience as yours. Mine end up in a bodyshop and they took 3 days to get mine looking perfectly new again.

Have had a same experience as yours. Mine end up in a bodyshop and they took 3 days to get mine looking perfectly new again.
Same here. I wouldn't bother with a new bonnet.

Thanks for the replies guys
I think the body shop sounds the best route

I did try a couple of breakers including the two advised but only silver available at the moment so no use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom