Repair Shop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
No, not the TV program.

At the weekend I used my ancient Kenwood Gourmet food processor (it has to be at least 37 years old as it was an engagement present for my first marriage!) and after mixing the ingredients for a microwave syrup sponge pudding - recipe available on request - wandered back to the cooker to tend something else. At that point I hear my wife yell out from behind me that there are clouds, and I mean CLOUDS, of smoke coming out of the food processor. I quickly ran across the kitchen, unplugged it and put it outside where it couldn't do any damage if it caught fire and continued with my cookery.

At the time it happened my nose told me that it wasn't burning wiring or the motor overheating but more likely a capacitor having given up the ghost. On Monday I pulled the thing apart and the culprit was obvious: one of the PME271M motor filter capacitors had burst and spewed its contents over the PCB. So a quick search of t'interweb and I found a suitable replacement, opting to order a replacement for a second similar capacitor on the board at the same time. It looked OK but I figured it would probably cash in its chips sooner or later, so for the extra couple of pounds it was a no-brainer.

I've just spent 10 minutes with a soldering iron replacing the capacitors and am pleased to report that the food processor is back to working condition. All for less than £9 - and nearly £5 of that was a small order handling/delivery charge.

While putting it back together I was musing that I was fortunate that the device was of an age that used discrete components and could be easily repaired. Chances are that a younger product would have been glued together and destroyed in an attempt to open it up and/or have combined miniature surface-mount devices that are nigh-on impossible to replace at home.

So what's your most recent repair that's stopped something otherwise serviceable ending up in the landfill?

So what's your most recent repair that's stopped something otherwise serviceable ending up in the landfill?

20 year old Bosch SDS hammer drill. Same problem - capacitor. Couple of £ for the part and a bit of my time. Also had the same issue on a branch shredder. My wife hates me when something breaks. She sees it as an opportunity for a new appliance, I see it as a challenge to repair it. I'll never throw anything away until i've tried to repair it. Comes from the time when I couldn't afford to just rush out and buy new stuff.

The other week I arrived at my son and there was a brand new Dyson V?? lying on the counter. "What happened to the other one I asked" "Oh it packed up" he replied. (it was just over a year old). I took a look at it and basically he'd used it to vacuum the log burner ashes -- bit of disassembly and cleaning and it was as good as new.

My in-laws had a Kenwood Mixer for about 50 years and it was still working and in use up to when they died and it went to the charity shop 2 years ago. We have a fully working Singer sewing machine in the loft that is even older.

I'm unable to throw anything away until I've at least had a go at fixing it. And I'm far too tight to pay someone else to fix it. I cant think of any specific recent repairs but five years ago I had to give up trying to find out why our central heating boiler kept losing pressure and water, without any signs of water leaks anywhere. I strongly suspected a faulty pressure relief valve but with Mrs KE just about to drop a sprog I determined that it wouldn't be a good time to play about with the boiler. So I called in a man. He agreed with my diagnosis and replaced the pressure relief valve as well as giving the boiler a full (and much overdue) service. During the service he discovered that the built-in expansion vessel was holding pressure, saying that the diaphragm between the air and water sections had failed - a common problem. Unfortunately with those old Glowworm boilers the expansion vessel is fitted right at the back of the boiler, necessitating removal of the whole thing to replace it. He came up with the idea of fitting an external vessel instead and went off to see what he could buy. While he was gone I thought to check the valve at the top of the expansion vessel where he had connected his pressure gauge. It wasn't easy to see, but just by feel I could tell that it was no more than the same type of Schrader valve we have fitted to our tyres. I searched through some of my bits-I-never-throw-away boxes and found an old insert that I used to replace the one in my boiler. When the plumber returned with news of how much his "fix" would cost, I told him about my valve repair. He stuck his pressure gauge back on and we both stood there watching it not move. My few pence worth of valve repair saved hundreds of pounds. Best of all, he was so embarrassed at not having identified that fault himself he didn't charge me for any of his work.

Wonder if it was your in-laws one we bought for our daughter from a Help for Heros charity shop a couple of years ago! Daughter has been eyeing her Mum's Kenwood - which we bought with some of our wedding present money 45 years ago - but knew she had no chance until her Mum's in a home or box. Saw one in the charity shop near them, in excellent condition and with loads of attachments/bowls/etc - for £15 it was a no brainer!

No, not the TV program.

ingredients for a microwave syrup sponge pudding - recipe available on request -

Yes please! That's just what we need in these difficult times - especially when laced with a gallon of custard!

My most recent repair was the door handle on the wifes Abarth 500. A beguiling example of cr@p design and poor materials choice. The whole thing relies on pivoting about a thin bit of cheap tat wire that inevitably breaks. The drivers side went and I just replaced the whole handle which seemed a waste. But when the passenger side went I found a repair kit that just had the small part I needed. After much swearing it was done.

My most favourite though was our lawnmower - a Hayter 48 that was bought off ebay as a non-runner. I refurbed the carburetor, gave it a service, mended the collapsed front axle which gave a lopsided cut (It was failed weld so I drilled a small pilot hole and used a self tapper to secure the broken part - still holding). I then touched up the paint and embellished it with a few choice Ducati stickers and it works beautifully. All in only cost me about £10 for the repairs and a couple of hours which were most enjoyable.

I do find these days I get much more pleasure from fettling, repairing, servicing things - I think it's because I no longer do anything practical with my hands in my day job other than type. When I used to work on oil rigs or in the lab it was always a case of making stuff work and thinking laterally to solve problems. I think it's in our DNA to engage in this type of stuff - tool making and the like.

But I digress....about this steamy pud…?

Made a bit of a mess of a lawn when the truck got stuck and needed soil to fill in two trenches. Previous neighbours who were 100yds up the road have moved on but left behind a wheelbarrow. So I went and borrowed the wheelbarrow (after inflating its flat tyre) and filled it with the soil from all the mole hills between our two houses. Trenches filled, wheelbarrow returned and all done in a fraction of the time it would take to organise or collect soil from any other source. Some grass seed will finish the 'repair'.

Rescuing that Snap-On torch courtesy of Mactech's USB charger tip. The torch has been a boon.

Most recent repair was the controller for the Audio 20, usual problem broken shaft, not particularly difficult just fiddly, the expense was having to buy some Torx screwdrivers, whatever happened to good old slotted screws. Abit of Araldite and all good. I bet if I'd taken it to MB it would be a replacement unit plus labour and can we interest you in a second mortgage sir.

But I digress....about this steamy pud…?
Your wish is my command:

Ingredients

100g margarine, softened
100g self-raising flour
100g caster sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp golden syrup (or more to taste ;) )
Custard, to serve​

Preparation method
  1. Lightly grease a medium-sized microwavable bowl with a little margarine to make it easier to turn out
  2. Put the syrup in the bowl so that it covers the bottom. This will be the top of the pudding
  3. Put all the remaining ingredients into a food processor and mix until smooth
  4. Pour the mixture into the bowl on top of the syrup and microwave without a lid, on full power, for 5 minutes (900W Microwave - experiment if less or more power)
  5. Leave to stand for 2 minutes, upturn the bowl on a plate and serve the pudding with the custard
This produces the lightest, airiest, sponge pudding you can imagine. Make sure the bowl is big enough (err on the large side the first time if you're unsure) as it expands massively in the microwave.

It also works well with jam rather instead of syrup, and if you wish you can add fruit or desiccated coconut to the mix immediately before putting it in the bowl to microwave.

Your wish is my command:

Ingredients

100g margarine, softened
100g self-raising flour
100g caster sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp milk
Custard, to serve​

Preparation method
  1. Lightly grease a medium-sized microwavable bowl with a little margarine to make it easier to turn out
  2. Put the syrup in the bowl so that it covers the bottom. This will be the top of the pudding
  4. Pour the mixture into the bowl on top of the syrup and microwave without a lid, on full power, for 5 minutes (900W Microwave - experiment if less or more power)
  5. Leave to stand for 2 minutes, upturn the bowl on a plate and serve the pudding with the custard
This produces the lightest, airiest, sponge pudding you can imagine. Make sure the bowl is big enough (err on the large side the first time if you're unsure) as it expands massively in the microwave.

It also works well with jam rather instead of syrup, and if you wish you can add fruit or desiccated coconut to the mix immediately before putting it in the bowl to microwave.
Can I use butter instead of marg?

My Nan used to make the most brilliant golden syrup pudding. I haven’t thought about it in years, so thanks for reminding me. Sadly, she passed away a long time ago so there’s no chance of getting the recipe :(.

I do remember a few years back though, the two lasses I was sharing a house with bought one of those tinned ones that you boil on the stove. Unfortunately, they didn’t read the instructions and boiled it without piercing the tin first. The result? A rugby ball shaped tin full of napalm. Undeterred, they decided to try and pierce the tin and recover the skin-melting contents, at which point I bravely make my excuses and leave. Long story short, they somehow managed to escape without injury but we did end up with golden syrup all over the kitchen ceiling. And guess who ended up having to repaint it before the renting agent’s next visit?

Cheers,

Gaz

Your wish is my command:

Ingredients

100g margarine, softened
100g self-raising flour
100g caster sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp milk
Custard, to serve​

Preparation method

Many thanks, you're a star! Right, job for the evening! I shall report back once said Pud has been prepared and consumed....i'm really quite excited!

A semi professional Bosch garden shredder - it died, and I took it to two Bosch service centres (who didn't sell them, so no upsale strategy) - both said it's time for shredder heaven, without even taking a look. I stripped it and found a capacitor type thingy had split in two - a new one off Ebay for (I think) £12 and we're up and running again.

A couple of weeks ago noticed "black bits" in our ice in the Samsung American Style Fridge/Freezer.
Binned all the ice in the storage tray & set about trying to clean the ice tray without first researching un-assembly instructions.
Managed to break a clip holding a sensor onto the underside of the ice tray.

History of the fridge freezer is that it is about 13 years old. 3 Years ago the cold water tank had an issue & local repair company wanted around £250 to fix it. I explained to the guy then that I didn't want to sink nearly half the purchase price into a repair. He advised not sending it to land fill and if I could work a screwdriver he knew a company who could sell me a repair kit for £130. Turned out the company was a division of his repair company but I got the thing fixed for £130 & less than an hours work.

So, not concerned that I broke the ice tray clip I tied it together with a couple of cable ties & searched online for a replacement.
Cable tie fix failed as the ties prevented some of the ice being ejected and the subsequent water fill flooded over into the ice storage tray & froze the lot into one block.
The online search ran into problems as the clip was no longer available as an individual component, only as part of a whole ice tray & motor assembly at £77.
Started looking at new fridge freezers, encouraged by SWMBO who is always keen for new kit.
Looking at the whole assembly online and checking a youtube video for a similar model, I thought if I remove the whole assembly a "fix" may be possible.
So the following weekend took the assembly out. Put a 1" screw through the remaining part of the clip under the part which holds the sensor.
Fixed for the cost of a small screw & about 20 minutes.

I think this thread shows the difference between those of us (possibly baby boomers) who grew up having to save for anything we wanted and thus were loathe to throw anything away, and the current "I want it now, I'm entitled to it" generation. Like many on this thread, If something's not working properly I'll do my best to fix it - today it was the bolts holding the folding sides of the Hayter mower in place, not only fixed but improved, all because once I'd "persuaded" the damned thing to come out I found a suitable SS bolt for the buggered side, does not supposedly lock so you just turn the handle the other side to lock/release, but instead takes a 10mm spanner! Did the other side while I was at it!

Next up is the pressure washer, which fired up for about 2 seconds then died, think that might tax my igninuity a bit more!

I think this thread shows the difference between those of us (possibly baby boomers) who grew up having to save for anything we wanted and thus were loathe to throw anything away, and the current "I want it now, I'm entitled to it" generation. Like many on this thread, If something's not working properly I'll do my best to fix it - today it was the bolts holding the folding sides of the Hayter mower in place, not only fixed but improved, all because once I'd "persuaded" the damned thing to come out I found a suitable SS bolt for the buggered side, does not supposedly lock so you just turn the handle the other side to lock/release, but instead takes a 10mm spanner! Did the other side while I was at it!

Next up is the pressure washer, which fired up for about 2 seconds then died, think that might tax my igninuity a bit more!

Aha yes, I’ve made the same improvement to my mower - I forgot that one! Previously I’d end up becoming more stooped the more I progressed around the garden as the handle slipped gradually lower!

speaking to my sis yesterday she is actually seeing the challenges as a result of the Coronavirus as a way of making her kids (teens) realise that you can’t always have what you want instantly.

That reminds me. My Karcher was spraying water all over my feet when I used it last week. I haven’t taken the gun apart yet but assumed it was a dodgy o-ring so bought a repair set from Karcher via Amazon. I must get out and fix it before it gets cold again.

Chris, on yours did you forget to turn on the water supply? That would make it run for just a couple of seconds.

Printer/scanner/copier threw up a fault message and stopped working. Googled the model and fault, followed the instructions on YouTube some kind soul had posted and it works again.
Basically, the stuff the techs are taught - access a maintenance menu then press and hold buttons in a sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom