REPAIR TO BLACK PLASTIC INNER DOOR PART

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnsco

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E280CDI SPORTS ESTATE and C200 KOMPRESSOR SE Coupe Auto (1.8 lit petrol)
Hi All
I've been doing some repairs to my recently acquired C200 Kompressor 1.8 2-door SE Coupe.
It came to me with a number of things in need of attention.
Strangely - Both door restraints were snapped - But - They are large doors.
So - I got the parts and set out on the entertaining job of replacing the restraint on the driver's side door.
It quickly became clear that the video that I was using for the removal of the inner door panel was for a four-door car.
The 2-door coupe is different.
After a couple of false starts, some head scratching and lessons in foul language for the neighbours - I got the panel off and managed to remove the old restraint and fit the new one.
[The job is not for the faint-hearted - or somebody with big hands]

Putting everything back together was easy enough - When you know how.
I'd bought a packet of panel clips to replace the ones that always break on old cars.

Just one little problem ...
The little corner bracket that holds the small speaker has already been broken and repaired by a previous owner / mechanic.
Some of the clips have been lost and they have been repaired by a black rubbery sort of adhesive.
See photo ... See black blob in top right-hand corner.
I'm going to replace it the same way.
But - Does anyone know what the trade use for these sort of repairs ?
It's a flexible, stretchy rubber - Reminds me of some poly-urethane sealant I used to use in my work.
Advice please.
Thanks.
J.

I've then got the passenger-side door restraint to do.
Also - The dreaded bouncing lock to repair.
That should be fun !

Attachments

• DSC04875 (1).jpg
    DSC04875 (1).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 17
I doubt very much if items like that are ever professionally repaired, they're too cheap to replace to bother. You could Google "plastic repair".

As you say - It will be cheap.
Someone's done the repair once before and it didn't show.
I was intending - Same again.
I may yet replace it.

Looking again, that might even be black silicone, easy enough to get hold of to try. :thumb:

The black rubbery sort of adhesive is probably 'Tiger seal'.

Thanks guys.
I'll try to get hold of black silicone or tiger seal.
There are a few bits that require some TLC.

The "tiger Seal" from Euro Car Parts looks a good bet.

Hi All
I've been doing some repairs to my recently acquired C200 Kompressor 1.8 2-door SE Coupe.
It came to me with a number of things in need of attention.
Strangely - Both door restraints were snapped - But - They are large doors.
So - I got the parts and set out on the entertaining job of replacing the restraint on the driver's side door.
It quickly became clear that the video that I was using for the removal of the inner door panel was for a four-door car.
The 2-door coupe is different.
After a couple of false starts, some head scratching and lessons in foul language for the neighbours - I got the panel off and managed to remove the old restraint and fit the new one.
[The job is not for the faint-hearted - or somebody with big hands]

Putting everything back together was easy enough - When you know how.
I'd bought a packet of panel clips to replace the ones that always break on old cars.

Just one little problem ...
The little corner bracket that holds the small speaker has already been broken and repaired by a previous owner / mechanic.
Some of the clips have been lost and they have been repaired by a black rubbery sort of adhesive.
See photo ... See black blob in top right-hand corner.
I'm going to replace it the same way.
But - Does anyone know what the trade use for these sort of repairs ?
It's a flexible, stretchy rubber - Reminds me of some poly-urethane sealant I used to use in my work.
Advice please.
Thanks.
J.

I've then got the passenger-side door restraint to do.
Also - The dreaded bouncing lock to repair.
That should be fun !
I'd be surprised if 'trade' ever made an attempt to repair those. No time for that - they'd either just leave it broken or fit a new one.

Hopefully you manage to repair it successfully, but a secondhand one from a breakers will be relatively inexpensive.

Not to mention new from the dealer :cool:

Thanks for your thoughts guys.
I used UPOL Tiger Seal - obtainable from ECP.
It appears to work fine for these types of repairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom