Repairing a Kompressor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigDusty

Car
C230K Elegance (W202) Manual
Hi All,

I decided to write this up to show and explain how a Kompressor (supercharger) from a C230 K W202 can be repaired after the bearings from the clutch failed. The total cost of repairs was only £120, other options was to replace the whole of the kompressor with clutch costing about £500 - £700 for a second hand one or a £1000 for a new one.

If the actual Kompressor had failed then I would of had no option but to replace the whole unit but for the sake of the bearings failing and in the process damaging the aluminium shaft that they slide onto then repairing it was my best option for cost purposes.

The first hurdle was getting a replacement double row bearing (measuring DIM ID:30mm x OD:47mm x W:22mm) and the only one I could find was in the USA. If you are prepared to wait the postage time then this is the best option.

http://bearingsdirect.com/products/...id=5110&prevaction=search&previd=&prevstart=0

I did find a company that sold a single row bearing

http://www.kellysearch.co.uk/gb-company-80012295.html

Same inner and outer dimensions as the original but was only 9mm wide. I purchased two of these at a total cost of £30, but I had to make a 4mm spacer to go in-between them. For this I used the outer shell of the original bearing and managed to slice off 4mm using a lathe.

I assembled both bearings with spacer into the clutch pulley and then refitted the cir-clip that held them all in place and it fitted perfectly, so far so good.

Kompressor-Clutch.gif

Now for the aluminium shaft. This is part of the casing of the Kompressor and replacing it was not an option. I dismantled the Kompressor which wasn’t difficult. Here are some tips for dismantling the kompressor.

Very important, clean any lose dirt or grit from the outside of the kompressor, the last thing we need is for dirt to get inside when dismantling.

In the picture below you will notice a red arrow pointing to a bolt, remove this to gain access to the gear oil. Pour out the oil into a clean container and put aside, this will come in use for later. You will also notice that I have used a pair of mole grips, when loosening the kompressor bolts two sections of the casing will start to separate, I only wanted to separate and remove the front section (note green arrows), the mole grips kept the second section in place. Once all the bolts were removed, the front of the kompressor will easily slide away with the help of a few gentle taps using a hammer but take care as there is an oil seal on the drive shaft and if damaged then a replacement seal would be in order and getting one might be very difficult or even impossible.

Kompressor.gif

Pictures of the kompressor with the front casing removed exposing the gears.

Kompressor-2.gif

Kompressor-3.gif

From here I decided to send the front section away to be repaired by a qualified engineer, I used a company in Cardiff “Stephen Kearney” details as follows

http://www.applegate.co.uk/engineering/company/co_1328272.htm

I was thinking of the idea of having the shaft “Metal sprayed” but being aluminium I couldn’t find anywhere local to do this, that's if it were possible in the first place.

The second option was to cut back the shaft by a mm and sleeve with a steel sleeve, refer to both pictures. This worked perfectly, cost, £80.

Kompressor-4.gif

Kompressor-5.gif

Now to reassemble.

Again, make sure no dirt gets into the kompressor, using a scraper (not emery cloth) clean up the areas of the casing that meet and join back together and use some gasket sealant (picture below).

Kompressor-6.gif

Put some gear oil on the shaft to aid the oil seal and carefully slide the front casing back on to the kompressor. As the kompressor is not covered in the Haynes Manual I decided to torque the bolts to 20lbf.ft.

Replacing the gear oil I used automatic transmission fluid but again because the kompressor is not covered in the Haynes manual I didn’t know how much I needed to fill it up by as there are no markings for a guide. This is where you use the old oil that you poured out and hopefully saved. Measure how much that came out and replace with the same quantity adding a little more to compensate for any losses.

(EDIT) There is a special oil which should be used in kompressors but it's not very easy to get hold off but when I do I will change the oil for the correct one, I did find this site (yet again in the USA)

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.ph...=11651&zenid=c6433fd02482fd59771e3157a1b5f91f

but if I find a supplier in this counrty I will update this info.

Reassemble the remaining components, put the car back together and you should now have one repaired kompressor. Mine is working flawlessly.

OK, a bit of work on my behalf, £30 for bearings and £80 for the sleeve plus a few other bits and bobs, to me, £120 and having achieved to repair rather than replace for a whopping £1000 was and is very satisfying. There is nothing wrong with the actual kompressor and I couldn't get my head around the thought of paying £1000 for the failure of some simple bearings and an aluminium shaft.

Cheers

BigD.

[edited for picture clarity]

Last edited:
Very good post, only two things to ask:-

What did you use to cut the spacer back ? normally these are hard as anything and need to be ground.

Rather than ATF, would hypoid oil be an option? or too thick and draggy for the application?

Would be interesting to dispense with the special bearing and do a bit of machining to fit a stock bearing.

Fantastic!! Thanks for taking the time to share.

I'm sure it will be a welcome relief to someone with the same problem, but expecting it to cost them a fortune.

Very good post, only two things to ask:-

What did you use to cut the spacer back ? normally these are hard as anything and need to be ground.

Rather than ATF, would hypoid oil be an option? or too thick and draggy for the application?

Would be interesting to dispense with the special bearing and do a bit of machining to fit a stock bearing.

Hi Fred, You're right, the only way to cut through the metal was to slice it off using a small thin grinder as it slowly rotated on the lathe.

As for the oil, That's exactly what I thought about being too thick as the original oil that I poured out did seem quite thin so that's why I used automatic transmission fluid but it is just a guess.

Also, thanks to everone for their positive replies, I'm always using the MBClub Forums for help and advice so this is my way of giving a little something back.

BigD

Last edited:
Is your engine the same as the one in my W203 C230K?

Hi, I'm pretty sure that the kompressor on the W203 is different from the one found on a W202, they did away with the magnetic clutch, but saying that, clutch or no clutch, there will still be a belt driven pulley on your compressor which means bearings and aluminium shaft.

BigD

(Edit) Just read your question again, I'm not sure about the engine being different or not, can't help you there sorry.

Last edited:
Hi Fred, You're right, the only way to cut through the metal was to slice it off using a small thin grinder as it slowly rotated on the lathe.

As for the oil, That's exactly what I thought about being too thick as the original oil that I poured out did seem quite thin so that's why I used automatic transmission fluid but it is just a guess.

Also, thanks to everone for their positive replies, I'm always using the MBClub Forums for help and advice so this is my way of giving a little something back.

BigD

Not owning a supercharged car, I don't know what speed the thing runs at - do you have drive to driven ratio's ?

Actually I'm surprised to see spur gears used, I thought they would have been hypoid cut for the noise point of view, but again m perhaps they would use too much power. ATF should do the job anyway, though I expect that merc will tell you they use some sort of rare oil at great expense.

Your guy in the machine shop did a nice job on the sleeve etc for what he charged you.

Not owning a supercharged car, I don't know what speed the thing runs at - do you have drive to driven ratio's ?

Actually I'm surprised to see spur gears used, I thought they would have been hypoid cut for the noise point of view, but again m perhaps they would use too much power. ATF should do the job anyway, though I expect that merc will tell you they use some sort of rare oil at great expense.

Your guy in the machine shop did a nice job on the sleeve etc for what he charged you.

Hi Fred, No, I haven't got the ratio's. When pouring out the oil I did notice that it had a strange smell to it, something I have not smelt before so it could possibly be an oil designed specially for superchargers. I think I will look into this further.

Steve did a very good job and was very helpful, overall, very impressed with his work and the costs.

BigD

I found this info on supercharger oil, so I think I will change the oil to the correct one, I was right about the strange smell though.

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/GTP-Supercharger-Oil-Change/index.html

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/GTP-Supercharger-Oil-Change/GTP-Supercharger-Oil-Change-04.html

http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/mods.asp?modid=13

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.ph...=11651&zenid=c6433fd02482fd59771e3157a1b5f91f

I can't find anywhere in this country that sells this stuff, typical!!

Last edited:
The bearings on the front are the same as 99% of ones found in earlier air con compressors. A reco shop for them will have them.
SC pulley bearing 30BG04S13DS

Bazzle

Edit: 30BG04513DS

Attachments

• SC pulley removed (Small).jpg
    SC pulley removed (Small).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 169
  • SC pulley bearing 30BG04S13DST2 (Small).jpg
    SC pulley bearing 30BG04S13DST2 (Small).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 166
  • clutch bearing.jpg
    clutch bearing.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
What exactly does the kompressor do on these cars?

It forces more air into the engine, to increase the amount of fuel that can be injected, and therefore boost the power output.

Thanks, is it a turbo or different principle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom